1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions please for a large planter

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by merleworld, May 26, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Fens : Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good idea but the planters are way too heavy for me to be moving them about. I can just about lift them to get them onto the trolley :)

Westwales : I've already planted a Clematis armandii which will be climbing across the trellis at the top :) I am after a shrub and only one because my cat likes to lay underneath them :cat-kittyandsmiley:

My whole garden is designed around the animals :doggieshmooze:

I may have to go to Bents to see what they've got in a decent size at the moment.

2. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    What about a bushy honeysuckle then? Most woodland plants like shade and there are some honeysuckles which aren't too straggly (I have one but have lost the label) or otherwise what about some large herbs? I have winter savory growing in a large pot which doesn't mind shade and I think rosemary would be OK too.

3. merleworld

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I've ordered a Choisya Ternata :blue thumb: 10L pot so hopefully should be a decent size.

Thanks for all your help :)

4. merleworld

Ratings:
    +4,087
    After all that faffing and buying a Choisya, I ended up moving one of the other Rhodos into that spot cos it was getting rather tall and outgrowing its pot.

[​IMG]

I'ts gonna be a monster!

Unfortunately I managed to break off some flowers on the other Rhodos while doing it.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Choisya GG - it's a really lovely shrub and will have a nice sunny spot now :SUNsmile: