Swede, from Seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,821
    Thanks all :)

I will still be growing my carrots and parsnips etc in the tubs, I am just trying to get the right crops into the right places if you know what I mean - cauliflower for example, grows, but never gets a decent heart in my tubs, and I only ever end up with a couple out of all that are sown as they get over crowded - hence thinking about what I can and can't grow in the flower beds (leaving the odd flower from a bulb in place....)

I have a cool side and a hot side of the garden, although in fairness both get a relatively good light, so I was thinking to have the likes of the swede, lettuce and celeriac on the cool side, and the butternut squash and runner beans on the warm side. My carrots, parsnips and courgettes can go into pots and tubs, tomatoes a mixture of in and out of the greenhouse, cucumbers and peppers in the greenhouse, spring onions (yes, I still call the sibies too @silu) I might now try in some spent compost in the greenhouse as I have always tried them in really fresh compost in the tubs outside.

EDIT - is mooli the best variety of winter radish then, or are there others that would lend themselves more to stir-fries, soups and stews etc?

• Like Like x 1