1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Chestnut Trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Mike Allen, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Following on from, Wise Owl's recent walk in the woods. 30/10/2020. His photo of sweet chestnuts, prompted me to share some thoughts etc.

As Wise Owl had in times past, worked in Greenwich Park, one of the Royal Parks. Myself having spent much of my time also in the park. I decided to share a few bits of perhaps, useless information.

For those unfamiliar with the park. It overlooks the river Thames at Greewich. Adjacent to the Royal Naval College etc. It can be understood why in the historical past, kings and queens became so associated with the park.

For instance. There is a preserved oak, or at least the site of it. Known as the Elizabeth Oak. This being Elizabeth 1. History tells us, that during a visit to the park. Queen Elizabeth 1 sat down and rested at this oak.

Entering the park from the Blackheath Gate. To the right is a pathway along side the Flower Gardens. This pathway is very popular. Visitors spend time feeding the squirels that have become very tame. This pathway is lined with Sweet Chestnut, Castanea sativa trees. History tells us that. Charles 11 commissioned them to be planted. Sadly today, many of these enormous girthed trees are under attack from Phytophthora, a disease that destroys the roots and prevent the plant/tree from drawing up water. So sadly many of these grand old trees having stood here and weathered some four hundred years, are now in their passing days. Thankfully the powers to be, are leaving them to pass peacefully.

• Like Like x 3