1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Peppers(capsicum)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rogthefish, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    sorry Aqua only seen it now, hope you have potted, 8" is big, but saves watering as frequently. Give them a stick, weight pulls plants over.
    ---------
    Ladybird

2. Feline

Feline Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My plants are thriving in the grow bag. They all have lots of fruit growing on them. One plant has about 10 so far.
    So far we've been feeding once a week but I'll maybe think about upping that to two after reading the suggestions here.
    I'm also going to tie them up so they're not drooping on the floor.

Thanks for all the tips I've read on here - this is our first year growing peppers and tomatoes and I'm very excited about finally eating them!!
    I ate my first tomatoes for lunch today and felt very proud of myself - silly maybe but I'm only just discovering my "green fingers"

3. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Still no sign of flowers on mine, let alone fruit! They're quite big and leafy though.

4. grandmothermoon

grandmothermoon Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!
    I'm new to the forum and have a question about the pepper plants in my greenhouse.
    I've checked out the rest of the thread and haven't seen this particular example [​IMG]

This is my first time of growing peppers - We have two plants which look very healthy - each has around 20 fruits on them, which resemble green chillies. Thing is, they're meant to be large bell peppers and they have been in the 'green chillies' stage for around 4 weeks!

Am I being impatient or should they be swelling and looking more of a 'pepper' by now :confused:

TIA
    Grandmothermoon xx

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    Hannah, sounds like they're getting too much nitrogen, stop feeding for a while and see what happens.
    Grandmothermoon, if they look like chillies, then they probably are. [​IMG]

6. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've not fed them at all, thought you only did that when they flowered and fruited. :(

7. grandmothermoon

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, thanks pete2255, well, if they're chillies, they're the most un-eye watering, non-hot tasting chillies I've ever come across! They taste like, erm, tiny green sweet peppers. The plot thickens :rolleyes:

Grandmothermoon

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    Hannah, are they in large pots? How tall are they?
    Grandmothermoon, Where did you get the seed from?

9. grandmothermoon

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought them as plants <blush> (well, in my defense I didn't get my greenhouse installed until late April :D ) and I got them from a local organic vegetable grower.

I'm going to call in and see her tomorrow with a sample fruit and the tags from the plants to see if she can shed any light on it!

Thanks for your responses
    Grandmothermoon

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    Let us know how you get on. [​IMG]

11. grandmothermoon

Ratings:
    +0
    :D Yep, wrong seeds, wrongly labelled was what I got!
    The lady I bought the plants from checked things out and it was definately a case of mistaken identity; I was given chillies which are hotting up a little now.
    She is going to take the plants from me and sell them and give me some other stuff as 'compensation'.

I'm just happy to know that there was nothing I was 'doing wrong' and I will look forward to having a go at growing sweet peppers next year!

Well done Detective Pete ;)
    Grandmothermoon

12. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete,

They're in 8" pots at the moment and the shortest one is probably around 8" tall and the tallest one is probably around 15" tall, with three others ranging in between.

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,061
    They are not overly large, to not have any flowers yet, although they should be showing signs.

14. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray!!! 3 ickle flowers showed themselves yesterday!!!! :D :D :D

Should I repot to something bigger soon? I think I ought to support them soon for sure!

15. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hannah depends what pot they are in now, should have been done earlier, but if you are careful, you can still do it,about 7" pot, yes and give them a strong cane, as they get top heavy.

Ladybird