1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Tall pink mystery plant

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Spadefreak, Jun 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Spadefreak

Spadefreak Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3
    Desperate newbie here! I hope someone can identify this plant which appeared in my garden this spring. It’s 5ft tall, the leaves are a bit pale but the pink flowers are large and very complex. 64EA9A26-6007-4861-AA2D-016677B1EEEC.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      Poppy, probably Papaver somniferum 'Double Pink'

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +712
        I agree with JWK. It is an annual poppy, quite nice but does not cope well if the flowers get wet. If you do not want to have them for time immemorial it would be a good idea to remove the flower heads or the whole plant once flowering is over as they can self seed readily.

• Like Like x 1
        • Spadefreak

Spadefreak Apprentice Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3
          Many thanks, both, for those answers. I didnt even recognise the plant as a poppy because of the weird flowers, but now I’ve been able to search poppy varieties and it does look like Papaver Somniferum, probably the Paeoniflorum group, variety “Pink Paeony”. I wanted to identify it so I could replace it if it disappeared, but as you say, my problem now will be controlling it. Once again, many thanks!

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1