1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tatties 2017

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Scrungee, Jan 5, 2017.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    They don't always flower.

Mine are also getting very top heavy in the greenhouse, usually I lift them outside round about now but am worried the wind will shred them. It's about two weeks to harvest time I reckon for mine going by previous years, but if you like them small I reckon there may be a meal or two in there. You won't know without furtling :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Get the water on the boil before you furtle @silu

Sooner you get em in the pan after picking the better the taste :)

On no account should you let Jersey Royals go to main crop as they turn into some girt knobbly thingers that have bits that poke thru into other dimensions :yikes:

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        These have picked up after the frost got them a bit :phew:
        DSCI0004.JPG

Doing this with a Mayan Glod potato to annoy someone on another forum :snorky:

DSCI0003.JPG

• Like Like x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,616
          Tell him your spuds are happy too. photopotato.png Here, I amended it - no one would ever know it was photoshopped :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 6
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            :lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Thanks both @JWK and @Zigs . My lot are about double/treble the size/height of Zigs lot in the yellow trug and the stems are also about 2 to 3 times as thick. I planted 5 seeds Potatoes. 1 in each 30 ltr compost bag and 2 in a "smart":) Potato growing sack (how flaming ridiculous can you get when any old thing will do to plant into as Zigs is ably demonstrating!) which someone gave to me.I can't have a "furtle" as the bags are straining at the seams and I'd never get a finger far less a hand into the bags to see if I can feel any wee spuds. What should I do? Go for it and split open 1 of the compost bags and see what's there. If nothing then I'll blame you if you recommend me to:) or wait another week or so until I basically won't be able to move in the greenhouse. From memory (bad a writing down when I do things) I planted these seed Potatoes about the 2nd/3rd week in March (chitted). The Spring has been so good and sunny everything has roared on in the greenhouse but most of the rest of the garden is way behind/b all growth because we have had almost zero rain for weeks and weeks until today when we have had a fair amount thank god.
              I didn't know that some Potatoes don't flower yet are ready to harvest. I have another 5 or 6 different varieties growing outside which are well behind the Triffids in the greenhouse. Some are earlies and others main crop.With these do I just have to have a bit of a look see if they are ready to harvest ?(it's called tattie howking up here) I was under the assumption quite obviously wrongly! that you waited until the plants had flowered and the top growth started to keel over a la Onions and Garlic. I obviously have a lot to learn:).

• Like Like x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Cut 3 sides of a square in the side of the sack, have a furtle, if no good then gaffer tape it shut again :)
                You would if it were a maincrop, they get left for 2 weeks after the haulms have dropped to let the skins harden for storage :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  :wub2:@Zigs . Would never have thought of doing what you suggest. It's lashing with rain atm so will go and find the gaffer tape in preparation for investigations as to whether I have some nice new spuds or not:fingers crossed:. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    "Tattie Howking
                    . Some folk still refer to this time of year as the “Tattie Howking”, (‘Tattie’ being potato and ‘Howking’ being to dig up from the ground…i.e. Potato Harvest)

[​IMG]
                    Basic Anatomy of a Potato Plant

For a quick recap of how the potato come to Europe at all, we need to return to 1532 to the region of Peru/Bolivia in South America with the not-so-welcome arrival of the Spanish Conquistadors in search of gold. There is evidence that the potato had been in cultivation in this region for about 3,000 – 7,000 years and may have grown wild for as long as 13,000 years ago. In Jeff Chapman’s, “The Impact of the Potato: The Story of History’s Most Important Vegetable”, he cites Dr. Hector Flores for the extensive use of the potato in Pre-Inca cultures in the Peruvian Andes as well as its representation in Nazca and Chimu pottery.

[​IMG]
                    Funeral of Atahualpa (who had been held captive by Pizarro and De Soto in 1533, who converted to Christianity but was executed anyway. Nice)

The Incas had developed a system of dehydrating and mashing the “batata”, (which is actually a sweet potato but the Spanish mis-pronounced it and attached the new word to what we now know as “potato”) into something called chunu. This substance could be stored for up to 10 years and was a welcome insurance against crop failures. The Spanish begrudgingly began to use potatoes as basic rations on their ships, and by 1570 a few Spanish farmers began to cultivate them on a small-scale.

[​IMG]
                    Mature Potatoes in the Field

From Spain, the potato made a modest expansion throughout neighbouring European countries for the next two hundred years, but was considered fodder for animals and sustenance for the starving. Even peasants refused this new addition that had arrived from a heathen civilization and suspected it to be linked with witchcraft. This attitude changed for three reasons; by the end 18th century potatoes were often the only crop left after the marauding armies of the various wars had plundered the landscape for grain crops, vineyards and livestock, then there was the growing realisation that the tuber was not harmful but beneficial to health, and finally because of active public relation campaigns from the aristocracy of countries from the USA to Britain, France and even Russia. Active PR efforts included Thomas Jefferson serving potatoes in the White House to Louis XVI sporting a potato flower in his buttonhole, to Marie Antoinette wearing the potato blossom in her hair, and even Catherine the Great and subsequently Tsar Nicolas I enforcing the cultivation of potatoes through edicts, all were trying to elevate the status of the very practical potato.

[​IMG]

This top down adoption was motivated for the simple reason that the potato could produce more food using much less land than traditional grains, and was high in nutrients and could help protect against the routine famines that had plagued Europe for so long. So at the dawn of the 19th century, after several centuries of faffing about, the humble potato was gaining in use and statue throughout Europe. From there it help fuel huge population booms and even in part the Industrial Revolution by providing more people with food from a fraction of the land that was once needed to do the job.

In Ireland however, the potato was embraced more completely than by any culture since the Incas. While in other European countries it was finally recognised as an important food, in Ireland it was often the only food. A diet of milk and potatoes can (if need be) provide all the essential nutrients to maintain health, reproduction and decrease infant mortality. By 1840 almost half of the population of Ireland was entirely dependent on the potato which had now narrowed to just one or two high-yielding varieties.

[​IMG]
                    Potato with blight

The same blight that caused the Great Famine in Ireland hit Scotland at the same time. Scotland, particularly in the highlands, had begun growing potatoes in earnest after the chieftain of Clanranald returned from a trip to Ireland in 1743. The region had already sustained other famines of the 1690s and 1780, but in what is now known in Scotland as the Highland Potato Famine, saw the emigration of 1.7 million people leaving Scotland between 1846-52. Although hit badly, the potato crops in Scotland did start to recover from 1857 onwards and whilst decimated the economies of Scotland rebounded more quickly than those of their Irish counterparts, in part because of the slightly cooler climes which helped keep the fungus that caused the blight at bay.

[​IMG]
                    Potato Harvest in 1933 (Canada, but you get the idea.) Just look at the curve of that guy’s back…that’s gotta hurt)
                    Enter the “Tattie Howkers”, the name given to the Irish who would travel to Scotland to help bring in the potato harvest for cash in the wake of the Potato Famines. For the next 90 or so years this would be how the majority of spuds made it from field to shop up until WWII. This was back-breaking work and was often performed by children from the age of 8 years onwards. In the fields from dawn to dusk in the October weather of Scotland – bbbbrrrrrr!

[​IMG]
                    Two Row Potato Digger (Maine, USA 1935)

The digger would unearth the potatoes and the Tattie Howkers would walk behind to gather the harvest and load it into the barrels. In addition to the hourly pay you could usually take home as much as you could carry from the fields. Now this remained the general practice of essentially migrant labour up until the 1940s and the arrival of the war. Since one of the most beneficial things about potatoes were that not only could children plant, harvest and even cook potatoes…maybe then it should be children whose job it fell to sustain the harvest.

[​IMG]
                    Young girls picking potatoes - Scotland

Another serious public relations campaign for the essential potato harvest. This was the new status quo from the war really up until the 1980s, when a combination of very hearty Scots teenagers and some new migrant labourers from Eastern European countries completed the task. "

• Informative Informative x 4
                    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      Isn't that Silu in the last pic? :)

• Funny Funny x 3
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
                        • silu

Ratings:
                          +8,083
                          No that's my twin.
                          This is what I look like
                          [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Naaah, Ziggy reckons you're more like.......

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • silu

Ratings:
                              +8,083
                              Well "Mother Teresa" has had a furtle and bag is now mended with gaffer tap. Only found about 3 spuds the size of marbles so far (insert whatever swear word you think appropriate) so god only knows when there will be something worth eating. Any ideas how much longer I'll need to wait as it is almost at the machete stage of getting into the greenhouse?

• Funny Funny x 2
                              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                                Ratings:
                                +49,605
                                I have earthed up my freebie International Kidneys today with some fresh compost - they look happy enough, so hopefully I will get a semi-decent yield.

• Like Like x 2