1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tatties

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Fat Controller, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GG,

Calm down a bit Lol, I only bought them the week before last. They are getting some nice little shoots on them now though so I reckon I'll probably put them in in about 2 or 3 weeks time.
    We're quite lucky here as we haven't had a frost since the first week of January ( and only 3 all Winter ) so I can't see us having many more ( if any ), so I'm hoping they'll be ok. The containers they're going into are like wide hard plastic buckets with handles on about 2' wide and 2' deep.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,978
      Ah, seems like I'm either ahead of the pack or have foolishly jumped the gun :scratch:
      Did I read somewhere that for potatoes to test the soil, just shove your hand into the soil up to the heft and if you can keep it there without discomfort, then it is time to plant? Or is that just a pile of chit? :mute::heehee:

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'll be growing mine in growbags emptied into the containers. Ain't got any soil, everything's under 6" of gravel.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,503
      @Gay Gardener - I haven't planted mine out yet, but am going to have to bodge something together this weekend. I washed all the bugs off them, and then put them on the seed racks that I have sat in the living room at the moment.

I am going to have to be a bit cute when it comes to planting them though - shortage of compost, and thanks to a bit of a balls-up with my wages I am out of cash to do anything about it; so, a bit of crop rotation and making use of semi-spent compost is in order and I will have to hope for the best.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,503
      Planted mine out yesterday - well, unceremoniously buried them just under the surface of some compost would be more accurate. I am not convinced I will see much from them with the chits being blackened they way they were, and then subsequently being sucked upon by those little green critters whatever they were.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Kondor spuds for giant potatoes have had their eyes/sprouts reduced to just one, and as soon as their 'wounds' heal they'll get planted.

@"M" I've just planted a 3 shooted KE seed spud in a cardboard pot that'll get transplanted into a 10" pot with a holed bottom sitting in a 42L bag of enriched compost.

Time to get my Charlottes into their bags in polytunnels.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Thanks @Scrungee :thumbsup: mine is still in the egg box :redface:

I've got my Morri bucket ready (holes along the sides near the base and also in the base) and the compost is being bought at the weekend (should have been yesterday, but I had emergency car troubles :wallbanging: ). I've got bamboo canes at the ready for attaching to the outside of the bucket.

Just taken a picture of how its looking at the moment:
        CIMG0016 (900x1024).jpg

Is it still viable? Are the white parts roots?

Do I need to put it in a cardboard pot before it graduates to "Big Pot"?

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          It looks ready to be planted. My 2 KE tubers appeared to be resisting putting out shoots, so I'm pursuing my plan of doing everything I can for one of them, and nothing special for the other.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,978
            Just a bit of info for a bit later in the month. My potatoes are in as mentioned above. I shall be away for a month soonish. I'm wondering if I need to do anything before I go or just leave as they are?
            For instance, would it be a good idea to 'mound-up' the rows a bit before the shoots appear (I know normally you would wait till there is sufficent growth before doing it) or would that prevent or damage them underground? Or ....

Any advice welcome.
            Thanks
            GG

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,060
            Wait till nearer the time GG, then if frosts are predicted whilst you are away then mound up before you go.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Well, I'm quite astonished really. I planted that spud after posting and I've earthed it up a couple of times but now it has taken off at a rate of knots! I don't think I will be able to "earth up" any more than one last time now :scratch: Will that be an issue, do you think?

I haven't put the pot on top of the bag of compost yet, but, obviously now is the time to do it. I just want to make certain I'm doing it right really :redface:

• Like Like x 3
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,503
                Mine were very slow to get started, but the past couple of days they seem to be more interested..... I will try and get a pic in the next day or two.

• Like Like x 4
                • Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
                  +86
                  I have some growing in bags, they are shooting like rockets with the good weather the last couple of days. But what height do you start building up a bit? They are seconds

• Like Like x 2
                  • Scrungee

Ratings:
                    +28,997
                    You could use something like thin Correx as a temporary 'raising piece' to enable continued earthing up well above the top of the pot, just remove it + the extra soil (but not any spuds in it!) before the weigh off.

Keep an eye on watering as the leaves will cause rain to be shed beyond the pot, the warning sign is when the leaves start to darken.

Bury the pot several inches into the compost rather than just placing it on top.

• Like Like x 1
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                    Thread Status:
                    Not open for further replies.