1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Telemarketer and Junk mail woes ????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Webmaster, May 1, 2007.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Just got sent this Email :-

REVENGE ON THE TELEMARKETER & JUNK MAILERS

Three Little Words That Work!!

(1) The three little words: "Hold On, Please..."
    Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear BT 's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset .... you have efficiently completed your task.

These three little words could help eliminate telephone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone
    calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is then used to determine the best time of day for a
    "real" salesperson to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering: If you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialled the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer!!!

3: When you get those "pre-approved" letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-prepaid return envelopes, right?

It costs them more than the regular postage "IF" and when they are returned. It costs them nothing if you throw them away! In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-prepaid return envelopes.

Send an advert for your local chimney sweeper to American Express ... they might need one!
    Send a pizza coupon to HSBC ... in case their canteen packs up. You get the idea.

If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them back their blank application form ... after all, it is their form!

If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you return.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them, and it is their envelope after all ... you are just returning it!!!!

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the post, but folks ..... we need to OVERWHELM them, in order to stop them.

Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they're paying for it ... Twice!

Let's help keep Royal Mail busy. Since the Royal Mail are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, let's help them so they will not need to increase postage costs again. You get the idea!

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- maybe you'll get very little junk mail anymore.

THIS JUST MIGHT BE ONE E-MAIL THAT YOU WILL WANT TO FORWARD TO YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!

Try and make use of the info wisely :D

2. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That is wonderful, will do just that from now on!

Thanks Webmaster!

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,929
    Some good points here.

With Caller ID on the phone nowadays, if it says "withheld" we just don't answer, quite simple. They do the same here, call and, if you answer, know what time you are at home. PT (like BT) is the worst for this.

If you do happen to answer, start talking to them and suddenly hang up in the middle of YOUR conversation ... who would do that, I ask? [​IMG]

We always sent back the blank forms in their pre-paid envelopes! :D :D

4. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, I used to religiously send the blank forms back in the return envelope. No need to stay anonymous AFAIK. Similarly satisfying is putting lloyds bank deposit envelopes with the arrow on in the machine upside down and back to front... I should definitely get out more!

My days of returning the envelopes are pretty much gone now though as I've registered for telephone preference service and mailing preference service -
    Mailing preference service
    telephone preference service
    I do still get the odd call but hardly any, and very little junk mail.

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,929
    Good, isn't it, Claire75, making them pay for their annoyances? :D

I can't use the links you give obviously but we have our ways here. We have a post office box because we are "remote" and you have an option for them not to put c*r*a*p in your box so we don't get that.

6. Sarah_999

Sarah_999 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend who sits and chats with the telesales people as if she's really interested in a conservatory... then just when they think they've got a sale, she tells them she lives on the 7th floor and 'will this be any problem?' Helps if you have a Cornish accent! She never got a salesman calling!!

I always return the junk mail envelopes too. If you put everything into it, they have your details and are likely to remove you from their list so you won't get any more! :D

Like you Claire, I used the preference services and cut the volume by loads!

7. Sunshine P

Sunshine P Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sarah_999 I do that too still do it now let them talk and talk then I tell them that i live in rented accommodation then they hang up, mind you nowadays they have started asking if i own or rent first and then hang up

8. Sunshine P

Sunshine P Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is one trying to get through all the time at the mo but with caller ID i dont answer it, they mustn't like leaving messages either cos they never do.
    made a mistake thats why there is two of these posts sorry everyone wont happen again

9. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I signed up to the TPS and MPS years ago. It does work, but I find when a company gets your name (IE your bank or insurance company) they will pester like mad. I even got a phone call from NEXT at 7.30pm SUNDAY!!!!! I soon sent them away with a flea in their ear.... I also have a withheld number bar on the phone.

What annoys me now is the post office has deal to deliver un addressed junk mail, and we are getting SO much.... I am going to have to put a sticker on my letter box, which on a brand new door, I am reluctant!!!!!

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Very sound advice Nathan - many thanks.

11. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Like it Nathan, some very interesting suggestions :D

[​IMG]

12. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been sending mail back for my late husband for the past 3 years now and they still keep coming. They give you a form at the registrars to stop mail from coming and it just dont work.
    Capital 1 was the worst, so i filled the form out and stated the new address, (Grave number and plot number,) its worked with them!
    MEF750