1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Temperatures?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by JackJJW, Feb 23, 2015.

1. JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
    Ratings:
    +1,559
    Hiya,

Just wondering, what is the best temp to keep young seedlings at after they've germinated?

Mainly thinking about tender and HHA annuals and young perennials (specifically Coleus, Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' and Verbena bonariensis).

Our house gets to 21º C with heating on, about 16 - 18 º C in the day usually, then can drop to 14ºC at night. I have a heated propagator that claims to warm the growing media by 8 - 10ºC.

A lot of the seeds have germinated and I've removed the covers but still have them on the heated tray.

Thanks
    Jack

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,322
      Hi Jack

Your windowsill are going to be well packed out I have said in other threads most hha and similar wont be able to go out until late April depending where you live I would imagine in Clapham you would be fine so thats over 8 weeks to keep them growing, I havnt planted any yet and wont until 2nd week of March I have learnt the hard way.

We have had a few new members on here planting away merrily with seeds and then wonder why they fail on the after care.

(18-21°C) is ideal but keep checking is best

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,040
        I'd also like to add that later sowings very often over take the very early ones and produce stronger plants.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • JackJJW

JackJJW Super Gardener

Community and Content Director
          Ratings:
          +1,559
          Ah ok. Thanks both. I've only done a small portion of each seed packet in this sowing. I thought it would be better to start early with these plants to get them to flower this year. I have the added problem of space as I need to get a series of sowings of plants from one windowsill to another until eventually outside in succession. It's a mini military operation but I've got some leeway into March if I need it then, which is good to know.

Ps I do have one cold frame outside too if that will help :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
            Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            I start most of my seeds in a heated propagator and as soon as they show I remove them as the heat makes them grow rapidly. Mine are now in a light bedroom with a background heat of 17/18C and no heat overnight. It's not warm enough yet to put them into a greenhouse or cold frame Jack. Mine won't go out there before the middle of April and even then I will keep a check on overnight temperatures.

• Useful Useful x 1