1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrarium advice please

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by ThePlantAssassin, Jul 5, 2020.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Hi and here's hoping you are all keeping well. What sad times we are in at the moment. Very scary to me.

Ive always fancied a terrarium and have gone ahead and ordered a glass one. Im waiting to buy the plants for it until I hold it in my hands to see exactly how big it is.
    Has anybody done one of these and what would you recommend I use as the medium to put the plants in. I know I could look this up but I think its always better to get advice from somebody who has actually done it and found success. Thank you.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,658
    I did try something similar in an old fish tank years ago.
    I started off with a layer of charcoal, then some multi purpose with added grit.
    I didn't try cacti or succulents, I think it's too damp for them, I used mostly ferns and small miniature house plants.

3. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    thanks @pete.
    I want to use succulents and I happened to spy a bag of cacti and succulent planting medium on the shelf at the garden centre so I picked it up. I thought Id put the plants in that with a layer of fine grit below and again on top. Fingers crossed coz I do get upset when plants die on me

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Hi,

If you google "cactus in terrarium" there are loads of examples and ytubes for doing that.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1