1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The age old question

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Blade, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    how can i get my lawn looking good . Had a new lawn laid 2 years ago , 10 ton of top soil levelled and turfed , lovely ! but now its gone a bit patchy , ive tried seeding the patchy bits but nothing happens ? as a complete novice what would you recomend , i have kept it cut and weed and fed it but i have 2 dogs which dont help . Its by no means awful just not great

Blade

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I would thought have that some of our more knowledgeable lawn experts would have been here earlier, Blade.:scratch: It sound like you've been doing all the right things.:scratch: I've found that when reseeding grass it helps if you dress the seed on top with a light covering of compost rather just raking it in lightly. Works for me:biggrin: Is the lawn patchy because of use?

3. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Blade, Can you put up a photo of the lawn and a close up of the patches?

If your dogs urinate on the lawn then they're the likely culprits but there are so many other causes of patches in lawns it's best to try to rule them out first.

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I'd first green it up

The best product that I have tried is Canna Mono nitrogen 27% .... this is diluted at 2ml per 1 litre of water, but you get 500 litres of fertilizer from a 1 litre bottle which costs under £15 .... add this to a backpack sprayer or similar and spray it on the lawn after 5pm

http://www.growmorehydroponics.co.uk/canna-nitrogen-n-27-1lt-mono-nutrient-457-p.asp

within 2 days, your lawn will green up .... I was given a litre for free to test it, and can say that for greening up, it works better than any granular fertilizer that I have ever used (I have not tried any of the liquid fertilizers such as urea etc)

wait a few weeks, then assess the situation again .... if there are still brown spots, that will possibly be caused by dogs pee, and not much you will be able to do about that

5. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    Sorry Dim but that's bad advice.

It's best to find out what's causing the patches first. If it's Nitrogen overdose caused by dog urine then adding more Nitrogen will make the situation a lot worse.

6. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I'm still learning, but as I said, thats what I would do first, then review the situation again

7. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    You can't treat the problem without knowing the cause. That's just common sense.

Just so you know, you could make the problem a whole lot worse with your suggestion.

Just a heads up.

8. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks peeps
    I will take a couple of pics , but i,m not sure how i will get them on here but ill try , its not the colour thats the problem , its nice and green , it actually has bald areas , not huge about the size of a fist all over , i will endeavor to load pics

thanks

9. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    Grass.JPG at first glance it dont look too bad but

Grass 2.JPG on closer inspection
    Grass 3.JPG patchy

well that was easy :)

10. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I still stick with my suggestion ....

when you use a lawn feed, it contains nitrogen .... an example:

Scotts lawn feed has an NPK of 22-5-5 .... the product i suggested is basically Nitrogen, with a content of 27%, so not much different, except it does not have the P and K .... is a lot cheaper, and results are almost immediate

If you dilute it at the recommended rate, it will not burn or scorch the grass .... it will green up the grass and cause the grass to grow rapidly

Once the grass has grown in a few days, you can reasess the situation and check where the patches are and try remedy them with overseeding etc

I tend to many lawns, and I always try and get the lawn growing and lush before deciding the next step

I had one lawn where there were 2 brown patches (no dogs, and could have been caused by neighbours cats) .... I never used the Canna Mono, but did use granular lawn feed .... 2 1/2 weeks later, the dead patches started growing again

dog pee causes the grass to die in the centre and it has a dark green ring around the dead grass ....

and looking at the OP's photos, I would not put the patches down to dog pee

The owners a few houses away from me had building alterations done to their home .... they recently laid turf and never bothered to mow until the grass was nearly 6 inches tall .... a few days ago, they mowed it and it looks exactly the same as in the photos .... there are no dogs

11. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    lol. I'll leave the lawn section to you Dim.

I'm embarrassed for you and I want no part of it.

Hope it goes well Blade.

12. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    no probs .... like I said, I do things my way

you have your way

I make money from my way .... and believe that what i do is the right way... and I have never been 'embaressed' to give my personal opinion

you believe that what you do is the right way .... this is a forum and we all learn from each other ...

but I am still waiting for your suggestions... you speak much but say little?

went to school with boys like you ... all talk and no 'action'

:cool:

:dunno:

13. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    I don't like your how you make everything personal Dim. "went to school with boys like you ... all talk and no 'action'" What's the relevance of that statement? Keep the personal moo poo away from this forum if you don't mind.

Look back at the start of this thread and review your posts, look at the photos. If you'd still throw nitrogen on this lawn after seeing the pictures then I stand by what I said earlier. I want no part of it.

14. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    i think its pretty well lushed up , i fed it and applied a nitrogen based mixture about 3 weeks ago , cut it last weekend but its the many bald spots that are the bug , not even the dog wee areas just bald spots , ive tried seeding the spots but nothing happens , Come on lads play nicely

15. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    It's cool Blade, we are! Dim's going to sort you out.

Peace.