1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

THE CHILLIES THREAD 2018

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ARMANDII, Jan 1, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    My Tokyo Hot - Cayenne Chillies are cropping nicely now . It's quite prolific , so only growing one plant this year. I gave all the others away . A nice mid-heat chilli for kebab marinades etc. We freeze some to last us through to next July .
    DSC_0178.JPG

• Like Like x 5
    • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
      +172
      It will be too cold outside. If you have a sunny window you might be able to grow them inside. You could also top up with a few hours of LED lighting every day.

I have some outside now and plan to bring them in when the temperature drops.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,233
        We have an interesting variety of chillies this year. I've given a rough flavour and heat breakdown below, which may be of interest...

For info, all seeds sown 14th Feb or thereabouts. ALL Grown first indoors with daytime temp of 20c, nighttime of 16c, then moved outside when night-time temps safely holding above 10c, in June this year. Nearly all plants in a 2litre pot, with suplimentary feeding (liquid tomato feed) when I remember.

Our verdict so far:
        ("BBQ-Ed" Many have been tried roasted on gas BBQ)
        Hungarian Black - after years of trying to get the seed, we have grown them for the first time.
        Large purple flowers, early cropping, stopping after first flush for a few weeks. A tasty chilli, not v hot, BBQ-Ed - tasty, tingle-hot
        Hungarian hot wax - first time again. Good cropper for large fleshy chilli. Mild Tingle-hot when eaten banana-yellow; strong tingle-hot, one in ratatouille for 2!, when eaten scarlet-red. Bbq-ed (yellow) - tasty, tingle-hot
        Basket of fire - first time grown. Quick to grow, and start cropping. Small fruit carried laterally, attractive cream streaked purple, before they turn red. Heavy cropping. V hot, building heat. BBQ-Ed - hot, with building heat. (An Indian friend who comes from chilli-growing area was speechless after eating one! Poor lad, his Indian colleagues will never let him live it down!)
        Patio sizzle - many years grown. Quick to grow, but slower than Basket of fire to crop. Small chunky fruit carried above leaves, turning fiery red. Heavy cropping. V hot, one chilli will do a pasta dish! BBQ-Ed - hot, but below basket of fire.
        Lombardo - many years grown. Slow to fruit, but long slightly curved fruit ripen quite quickly. Not v hot, but good for chopped raw in salad, guacamole etc. Around 20 per plant, so good cropping for larger fruit. Pickles v well, holding good colour for over 12 months. BBQ-Ed - tasty, very little heat.
        Jalapeño - first time grown. V slow to fruit. Surprised to find a date-shaped fruit (was expecting more cayenne shaped). Good when used raw, a little heat, not as much flavour as Hungarians.
        Biquino - first time grown. Delicate fruit, like inverted tear-drop. Heat, building slightly. Great if cooked whole on a pizza! BBQ-Ed - flavour and heat, building quickly, then subsiding. Problem with this plant - grows tall, then lateral (almost cedar tree in form), with brittle stems fruit carried below stems like little lanterns, v attractive. We had 2 plants, both snapped in high winds, so needs more support and shelter than other plants.

In summary, our default "if we only grow one" chilli is Patio sizzle. I can also add it dries and freezes well.
        Edited to add comments from hubby:
        Patio Sizzle is a great "starter" chilli. The seeds are widely available (wilkos, I think 99p?) with lots of seeds to a packet. Fast to germinate, a compact plant, they crop heavily, even if you don't pick the first few chillies (most chillies we find fruit better if you pick the first few before they fully ripen, to encourage more flowers). We can pick 50+ chillies from a plant, with ease. The chillies have a good flavour, and plenty of heat. Being small chillies, they even take little freezer space!

We will grow the others again but not necessarily all, each year.

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
          Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,092
          image.jpg
          I've had a really good crop of jalapeño so I've pickled some with a couple of habs to make it interesting. I've got lots though, so any recipes are welcomed ( I find they don't freeze as well as other chillies)
          Another question, if you don't mind, it's my first year growing lemon drop. I've picked a few ( green ) but found them disappointing, do they ripen to ..... lemon :th scifD36: ? Is that the problem? :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,460
            @Loki Yes, they'll ripen to a bright yellow :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
            • HarryS

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              And how hot would a ripe lemon drop be ? Was thinking of trying them next year .

• Like Like x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,460
                @joh98.mac

Timing of growing chillies depends on the chilli variety, the amount of light available and the amount of warmth applied or available.

In general they tend to follow the same pattern. The usual way to grow them is to sow them January/February time, with some heat - although we just put ours in a seed sprouter on damp kitchen paper on the kitchen worktop. We only, now, bother to grow two types of chillies. One normally takes 4 - 7 days to germinate and the other takes 10 - 14 days to germinate.

As we keep the house quite warm at that time of the year (at least 23C) we just pot them on into small pots and leave them on windowsills. If you apply too much bottom heat they can grow too leggy unless they have plenty of light (OK if you're using a propagator and lamps).

We continue to pot them on as they get bigger (when roots start poking out the bottom of the pot) until May and then into the greenhouse in a propagator. The propagator keeps them warm (23C+) and by then they're getting much better light in the greenhouse. We pot on every so often.

Chillies can be put outside once the good weather arrives but you should bring them in again when the temperature starts to drop below 10C (better to keep them in your greenhouse once the temp drops to 15C as they will then continue to produce more chillies if kept warmer.

We don't put any outside as we bring them on faster and sell them for charity. The ones we keep for ourselves will continue to produce into the new year if placed in the propagator.

These are what are known as Shiney Hybrids (our own cross bred variety) and I sold the 55th one last night :blue thumb:. Most were bought for eating but some were bought as ornamental plants.
                The marks on the chillies are just hard water marks as we water everything by hose. They will wash off. We start selling them at the end of May when we open our garden.
                P1400740.JPG

The Nagas take much longer to grow and produce fruit so don't start selling those until late July/early August. Those are all ordered for personal use by the Bangladeshis that own the restaurants and Take-Aways. We sell them as they start producing a lot of fruit as most of the buyers don't really look after them properly and they stop producing fairly quickly if neglected.

Half the orders have gone already and some of these are ready to go.

P1400736.JPG

P1400738.JPG

P1400737.JPG

P1400739.JPG

Don't bother growing Nagas. They take longer to grow and you need the ambulance service on speed dial!

• Like Like x 3
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,460
                  @HarryS

They're pretty hot - but, as with most varieties they can vary greatly even on the same plant. If you grow them and find they're too hot then pick them before they have ripened properly. They won't be so hot then.

The plant grows quite big so will need a big pot. They'll grow much bigger than the Nagas above and will be better being supported. They can easily grow to 6ft.

• Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,092
                    Thanks @shiney, I thought they should have a bit more flavour:doh:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      My Thunder Mountain Longhorn chillies have nearly all ripened and been picked.

chilli TML.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,460
                        What sort of heat are they?

• BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,765
                        Anyone overwinter their chilli plants if so how to please.... One plant in particular is potentially giving me a good crop this year that I would like to keep/save or at least have seeds or cuttings. (Bhut jolokia)
                        @shiney what do you do with your Naga's
                        Loving those Naga's..the shape is superb ..Can I get some seeds from you they look excellent. (please advise)
                        Can you also give me an insight into your sowing planting and time of year regime specifically for the Naga's
                        Regards
                        C
                        Bumper3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                          Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
                        • HarryS

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +16,246
                          They look evil , so bet they are hot :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Re the above, because I live in Scotland and it takes longer for our temperatures to rise each spring/shorter growing season, I try and over winter a few plants as they will produce chilli sooner than those sown in February.
                            Mine are brought into the house from the greenhouse around end of September or whenever temperatures start to drop away.I keep mine in the bathroom as it is very light and south facing. No extra heat and the house can get quite cold at times (big house and not a multimillionare to afford to heat it to roasting!). I stop watering completely until about middle of March and at the same time prune the plants down to about a 1/3rd the size, then start to water a little and give a feed of weak Tomato feed. Not all the plants survive the winter (usually about 75% do) and there may be a better method but this works for me.

• Like Like x 2
                            • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
                              +1,765
                              Thanks @silu

• Like Like x 1
                              • Friendly Friendly x 1