1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The devils' vegetable revisited

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Phil A, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you know, its my first year growing Cucumbers, got 2 set, about 6inches long but still a bit spikey.

Do I cut these off to make the plant set more, are they ready if they are still a bit spikey ?

The variety is Wautoma (Thought that was a dance until Atticus sent me the seeds:heehee:)

2. justracing

justracing Gardener

Jobbing builder/landscaper
    Ratings:
    +53
    My single plant is threatening to take over the greenhouse! It produced around 6 really great fruits 12" long and then stopped see here:
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/edible-gardening/35455-cucumber-problem.html
    It has now bolted back into action with several lengthy cucumbers one of which I picked for tea around 14" long! Yours sounds a bit too short to pick unless ot's peculiar to that vairiety although I am by no means an expert!

• Like Like x 1
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      You gonna eat it or throw it Zig???

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      Ziggy.......wait for it.........can we have a picture please it might help. :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      I'd eat them now Ziggy, it will encourage the plant to produce more. Not sure about the spikyness, some varieties have quite distinct spikes and your's probably will remain spiky even when they grow bigger.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Oh no, Sister in Law will eat them, just don't let them near my plate:heehee:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Will do that tomorow Sheal, after working all day, making 5 gallons of wine, doing lunch for tomorow & watering the garden, just need a sit down before doing it all over again tomorow:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Cheers John,

Might be an idea to put one in the fridge & wait for the complaints:heehee::dbgrtmb: