the last cut?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by intermiplants, Sep 26, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Wish I lived nearer Shiney I would give you a helping hand with it.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,291
    Thanks strongy, the willow is a magnificent specimen but quite a bit smaller than it used to be. About 18 years ago one of the side branches broke off at the trunk. where it broke it had a 30 inch diameter and was 40ft long. We had to have the big branch at the other side taken off to balance the tree and had the top reduced by 15ft. Now we have it topped every five years. It was bought (not by us) for 1/6d from the Womens Institute in 1953. It does so well because it sits close to the soakaway from our cesspool.
    The conifers are fairly normal ones but I shape them every winter or they would get out of hand.

Thanks BM, I'll let you know when we open the garden. One of Mrs shiney's patients just bought the 10 variegated laurel that Mrs shiney had grown for the plant sale. We haven't yet picked the charity that we shall donate the sale money to.

walnut, I wish you were nearer too [​IMG] , thanks.

Funny weather nowadays. This was the same view last Feb 8th.

[​IMG]

3. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    shiney thats one of the best gardens ive seen and the view is to do die for. you must keep busy keeping it in order because if a garden that size got out of hand it would be hernia time. do you do it all yourself.. very nice,, well done [​IMG]

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A fantastic garden shiney,

If you want to make quicker progress on your patio use sodium hyperclorite solution on it at 60/40 dilution with water and spray or water it on. Rinse of with the pressure washer

Youll find it will kill of all the algae etc but it doesnt atack the pointing in the way of brick acid or standard patio cleaner.

You can buy hyperclrite from a farmers merchant, �£10 for 25 litres.

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    pro, my garden is about 50ft by 25ft and my turf took a battering due to me building an extension i needed a quick fix as i had to lay boards down for the bricks but my garden has recovered better than i thought and i have been treating it with evergreen complete but seeing as your in the trade is there anything you would suggest that is better than evergreen complete. im not sure what grass it is but its not a bad grade i like it neatly cut look after it and love the healthy glowing look after a few days when its been treated.... what would you use ;)

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I recomend you use a water on feed, I use Premier 15-0-6 from ALS (�£29 for 10 litres)

ALS tel 01952 641949

Water or spray it on following the dilution. 10 litres will last you a long time as the dilution rate is low, it actually works out cheaper than a granular feed.

You could also try iron sulphate (if you can get hold of it)

Overseed any bare or thin areas.

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    cheers pro ill print it off and go and look for some .. if its better than evergreen next door will be gutted when my grass is gleaming :D

8. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,291
    inter, that's probably how I got my hernia :eek: . I'm seeing the consultant in a couple of weeks.

We have some help - Tracy comes in once a fortnight.

Pro, thanks for that. What sort of area will the 25 litres cover as I have about 190 sq metres of patio? Does the chemical do any harm to the plants and grass around it as that is where it would be washed off to?

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Shiney it should do it especially if you spray it, You may even be able to use it more diluted if you try a test.

Basicly the rinsing dilutes it down suficently but if your woried dont use it on the metre of slabs closest the borders and do this with the pressure washer.

Obviusly wear gloves and old clothing to do the job and take care not to splash the concentrate.

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shiney, remember me :D Just tuned in to this thread. I say my friend that Winter pic could be the start of a Christmas card business. Looks very Christmasy.

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,291
    Hi Fancy

Long time no chat [​IMG] lovely to hear from you [​IMG]

Did you get the butternut squash seeds I sent? How did they do? The slugs ate all ours.

Our garden looks lovely when it snows but that doesn't happen much nowadays.

12. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    not even had the mower out yet .its growing but that slow dont think ill need to till end of march ;)

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +117,291
    Hi inter, I've had to mow that lawn three times already! :eek: [​IMG]

14. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I cut mine last week before it started to rain,it could do with another one soon.

15. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    shiney 3 times what are you feeding it :eek: :eek: shiney how long does it take you to cut the grass with a garden your size . i wouldnt mind havin to cut your garden if you ever want to swop just pm me :D ;)