1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Olympic Rings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jul 7, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I love the Olympics and have the w/c 6th August off to watch the last week's activities.

Never did want them to be in London though and I have largely managed to ignore all the hype - even though the banners are going up where I work (some of the football is being held at Old Trafford). There will be some disruption as the matches start around 5pm, when everybody will be heading home (but I'll plan to leave about 3 to miss the worst of the madness).

I'm hoping and praying that there are no 'incidents' and that it all happens as peacefully as possible.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    The other night I wrote about why I thought the whole thing was an embarrassment, but the site packed in as I tried to post it and stayed broke til the next day.

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,494
    There was loads of grief this morning - Kew Bridge was absolutely stuffed due to 'issues' with the traffic lights (that is political speak for them faffing about with them as part of their traffic gating measures), and Wimbledon was as near to a car park as it could be because of changes to the traffic flows because of the Olympics.

I really cannot wait until this is finally all over.

4. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    As if that wasn't bad enough, most of the "Olympic lanes" did NOT start today, even though there are notices that say they do.
    Big debate on the radio about it.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
  6. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549
    Oh, not to forget the Americans, picked up by an English coach driver at the airport, 4 hours later he arrives at the Olympic village. Coach had sat nave, but driver said he didn't know how to use it and had never done that run before.

7. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    I think I'm quite looking forward to next Saturday. My boss has very kindly given me two tickets to the England v S. Africa test, third day, at the Oval in London. :yes:

I normally avoid London if at all possible, horrible place.
    Going by train and tube, so I should avoid any hassle on the roads. With it being just one week before the start of the Olympics, I guess it will either be a bit quieter than normal or absolutely heaving. We shall see.

I've already fallen victim to 'Olympic madness' on the roads a couple of weeks ago when the torch passed through here.
    There was a major hold up on my normal route home that day due to an overturned lorry.
    The local radio station are normally very quick to report such problems on their traffic bulletins, but on this occasion they were all far too busy practically wetting themselves with excitement over the progress of a glorified gas canister through the local streets to bother with anything less important like, say, a major trunk road being closed for 40 minutes while the lorry was recovered.
    Had I known about this, I could have avoided the hold up. When I did eventually get moving again the final straw was some daft presenter doing a (late) travel bulletin saying, "Well it's very busy out there this evening, it seems that just about everybody wants to see the torch."
    :gaah::wallbanging:

Rant over.

8. watergarden

Ratings:
    +549