1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The RNRS.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Mike Allen, May 6, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I have only just come across this. Why British gardens are no longer a bed of roses

I have to admit. This is a matter so close to my heart, being a rosarian.

. The RNRS previously the National Rose Society, was at that time probably the tops. Then we became the Royal National Rose Society.

The rose gardens really were worth visiting. For professional or near so, we were aware of the great amount of work and effort went into producing such a garden.

So rose lovers began to sign-up and become members. So hey ho! I get free entry to the gardens. When? Actually all year around , but many perhaps misunderstood. The gardens are open to the public for just two months of the year. So many probably thought, two months !!!!

I myself and a respected friened, a doctor whos has sat on many a board of directors etc including the CBI. We both and perhaps other members may have suggested. Open the gardens all year. Provide a venue for this and that. Hey! this is a rose garden. So introduce and run gardening courses, yes hand out certificates at the end of the course.

Sadly IMHO review. Whoever was top of the pile certainly took full advantage of the appointment. Back to. 'Ground Zero' we now see the sad demise of a great organization....lost.

Having been a fellow of the RHS fo much the same time. I have to admit. I was shocked. Why, how come the RHS never stepped in to help?

I seriously believe it's high time, HM Gov sorted out this charity status.

• Informative Informative x 2
      Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      The times of needing only one wage to support a family are gone. For most. More work, less play time for gardening.

Remonds me that I wish somehow they could have filmed Mrs. Miniver in colour. Can you imagine how lovely that would be? :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,608
        That's roughly what I was thinking Lori. Many householders don't seem to have time any more to maintain their gardens how they would like. Roses need a lot of attention to keep them in good condition so it's easier for people to use plants that need very little looking after.

• Agree Agree x 3