1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Slow & Pressure Cooking Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, May 14, 2017.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,474
    For quite a long time, I have fancied the idea of getting a pressure cooker; partly because I remember this great big hissing monster sitting on the stove when I was a child, and the gorgeous rice pudding, soups and stews that used to come out of it. So, yesterday I was buying a gift and if I spent over a certain amount I then got a discount, and then stumbled over this fellow so on a bit of a whim, I bought it.

Some of the recipes in the book included look really good, and we are soon to try some rice pudding.... however, now that we finally have a pressure cooker I want to make full use of it.

We rarely buy 'ready meals' preferring to cook from scratch as much as possible, so have used our breadmaker and slow cooker extensively - I am hoping that this new one will add to the armoury and allow us to cook things quicker. I know that there are some excellent home cooks here (yes, I am looking at you @"M" for a starter for ten!), so would love to hear any of your recipes that you are willing to share.

Also, everyone please pitch in with any slow cooker or pressure cooker hints, tips or questions too!

• Like Like x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,249
      I grew up with one and had one myself for ages. Use it for cooking bacon joints, beetroot, making soup, cooking oranges for marmalade and such like.

• Like Like x 3
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,474
        Well the rice pudding last night was gorgeous :yummy: and ready in less than half an hour (it is over 4 hours the other way!); tonight, we are sort of cheating - our butcher makes pre-mixed stews that you just have to cook (bit like a ready meal, but made with 'proper' ingredients, all free range and/or organic), so we are having pork, sage and apple stew.

• Like Like x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Sounds delicious!

Don't have a pressure cooker ... well, I did buy a cheap one a few years ago but it was very low on the pressure front so never ended up using it :redface: Come to think of it ... I haven't even seen it since we moved here (Mr "M" packed the kitchen :scratch: :th scifD36: :dunno: )

Slow cookers are more my thing, especially in the hot weather! Yup, you read that correctly, I use it in the hot weather - that way I don't heat up the kitchen with an oven :heehee:
          For the most part though, I use it to make a "base" in quantity so that I can freeze the base in portions and then defrost and use it make an actual meal. For example: a minced beef "base" made in the slow cooker would be a quantity of minced beef (quickly dry fried to brown), chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery, tin of chopped tomatoes stock and then some soya mince (1. to make it a bit healthier; 2. to make it more budget friendly and 3. to make the quantity go further. Because it is cooked alongside the real minced beef and over a longer period of time it picks up the flavour brilliantly and Mr "M" never knows he is eating any soya mince :whistle: ). I throw it all in and leave it to do its business. Do note that I haven't seasoned it, nor added any herbs! This is just a "base", the seasoning comes when I make it into something else. Once cooked, I strain it, cool it, bag it into portions and then freeze it. The strained liquid (scrummy stock!) is frozen separately.

From that base, I will defrost a portion, add a few more ingredients, and make the "meal":-

* bolognaise sauce (half for that day's meal and the other half for lasagne the next day)
          * Chilli sauce (half for that day's meal and the other half making enchiladas for the next day)
          * Scotch mince (savoury mince in gravy); half will make the meal, the other half will make a cottage pie.​

I also use whole joints/chickens in the same way (still separating the scrummy stock)
          When the large supermarkets had half price beef and pork joints (Christmas time), I buy up as many as I can afford/fit in my freezer. Once cooked in the slow cooker, they are also portioned up and frozen to be made into "quick" meals another time. (Chow mein, tacos, fajitas, pasta bakes/ salads, risottos, pies, curries, soups etc.).

If I see stewing beef on the reduced counter, I snap it up because one recipe I do enjoy from the slow cooker is Geordie Beef with dumplings (no stock added, just a bottle of Newcastle Brown :whistle: ) That never gets portioned up and frozen :heehee:

I quite like liver and bacon cooked in the slow cooker but not all of my family eat liver, so we don't have that often.

On the sweeter side, one of my favourite's is a mixed fruit compote. I buy a bag of mixed dried fruit (the ones with the large pieced of dried fruit such as you get in Lidls with rings of apples, apricots etc) throw in some sultanas and add half a litre of orange juice then let that simmer away on Low for 6-8hrs. It is delicious hot with cream/custard but equally lovely cold and served on hot porridge. Smells very Christmassy too :heehee:

Remember you can cook a steamed pudding in the slow cooker too. Just make your favourite as normal, put it in your pudding basin, cover tightly with foil, pop into the SC and add water to half way up the basin. Cook on High for 3 - 4 hrs.

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 2
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            A rule of thumb when converting oven recipes to slow cooker recipes:

If it would take up to 30 minutes in an Oven, allow 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hrs on HIGH or 4-6hr on LOW.
            Up to 45 minutes in an oven, allow 3hrs on HIGH, or 6-8 hrs on LOW
            If up to 3hrs in an oven, then allow 4-5 hours on High and anywhere between 8 - 12hrs on LOW.

Much depends on your slow cooker, the size of the pieces of food inside the slow cooker and the quality of the food you use. It's a rough guide but it does give you something to aim towards if you have a favourite recipe which you'd like to try in the SC.

• Like Like x 3
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,607
              I have 4 pressure cookers from 4 liters up to 24. The big one I generally only use for canning.

This is an excellent source for recipes and cooking times for both meats and vegetables.
              Fastcooking.ca - Pressure Cookers: High Quality, Stainless Steel Fagor Pressure Cookers sold at the New Generation Pressure Cooker Store

I downloaded the cooking times and condensed them to a list of the things I am likely to cook and have the laminated and taped on the inner side of a kitchen cupboard door for quick reference.

What is your rice pudding recipe? Sounds interesting. :)

• Like Like x 3
              • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                Ratings:
                +6,224
                Wow @"M" loads of good tips there :thumbsup:

I've got 2 slow cookers..1 small one donated by next door and a big one from tesco. No idea how much they hold but both were being used Xmas time, smaller one for soups just for me or making compotes, the big one for stews, mince dishes and gammon joints. And one very gross bolognese you may recall.. I now brown or seal meats before using them as I don't want a repeat! :heehee:

I'm yet to invest in a decent slow cooker book and get out it's full potential.

Never had the joy of using a pressure cooker but the past few months it seems like they're "coming into fashion".. I've seen and heard about them a lot!

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  I mostly use a hay box :paladin:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,474
                    We've still got our slow cooker, and fully intend to keep using it - we've had it for years, and it is a faithful friend.

Last nights pork sage and apple was a bit of a disaster, but no fault of the cooker - it was a salty as hell, so I think the butcher must have made a mistake when making it and over seasoned it. I cooked a whole chicken in it tonight - literally fell apart, and I have a nice base for a soup as well.

@CanadianLori - I will post back the recipe tomorrow :) If I forget, remind me.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,607
                      Thank you @fat controller I will use it in my sun oven. Solar cooker without paying electric or taxes :)

• Like Like x 3
                      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                        Ratings:
                        +30,607
                        Oops, @fat controller pressure cooker it is...... slow/fast cooking all in one thread does mess with my old addle pated responses :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +2,389
                          what do you cook in there...fermented shark? :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            Gurry usually :)

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +16,246
                            Very popular during WW2 . I don't think Curry's stock them now :biggrin:

hay-box-cooking-world-war-i-c1914-c1918-artist-s-and-g-ddyd5y.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2