1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

The Sun

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mark B, Jan 16, 2007.

1. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, there! I'd completely forgotten about this! I used to see green woodpeckers when I was working out in the country outside St Albans - they were living in a very large lime tree. Usually it was the way they flew that caught our attention, they sort of bob along.....

2. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Half the garden is finally in sun though the west bed only for a short time in the morning. The box hedging , lavender and rosemary hedge are still in the other half though but hopefully will see sun in the next few weeks. Looks like half the garden will get roughly 6 months of sun and the rest maybe 4 or 5ish.

[​IMG]

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Going back to the sun position thing - I slipped up on this when planning my veg beds. My garden faces West and my neighbour to the south has a great big fence which doesn't make much difference mid-summer but is a big factor in winter and early spring when half my beds are completely shaded by it. Would have been OK if I'd planned my crop rotation with one sunny and one shady bed for each group, but I didn't think of that.... also planted some lavender in the shade of the fence so I need to swap them over to the sunny side, probably put some hellebores and things in where they were, instead.

4. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When the lap fencing gets old in my garden I'm going to try and convince the neighbours to go for 5 foot fencing with trellis above and hopefully therefore provide a wee bit more sunlight into the garden.

5. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this topic has been going a while but now the entire garden nearly gets sun. Just a couple more feet for the small hedging plants. Moved pots from near the house as just to dark for to long but majority of garden hopefully will now get 5 months of light per year, which I think is very good for a North facing garden. Now too watch for when it starts disappearing again in Autumn!!!!!