1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of a career in plumbing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by merleworld, Mar 12, 2016.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    A couple of weeks ago I had water coming from underneath the bath and through the kitchen ceiling lights. Anyway off I took off the cover of the plughole, shoved a thingy I'd bought ages ago which was basically a wire with a brush on the end down the plughole and brought out a huge clog of hair/soap. That cleared the pipe but there was still water coming from underneath the bath, so I popped to B&Q, bought some plumbery bits, replaced some bits and tightened everything with my favourite new toy, a massive plumbing spanner type thing, and hey presto, problem solved.

On top of that, my downstairs toilet has been blocked on and off for months. I've had someone round to sort it but he gave it a quick swoosh with the plunger which cleared it temporarily and then the water level rose again. Anyway I've tried allsorts to try and sort it. I even invested in one of these bad boys - a toilet auger (which wasn't cheap) but that was my final attempt to sort it myself and despite it being a brilliant tool, it appeared that the blockage was further down the pipe as it wasn't in the loo.

Anyway, I'm a stubborn old mare so thought I'd have a go at seeing if I could clear the soil pipe. Did a bit of Googling, found an entry point into the soil pipe and took the cover off. As soon as I did the driveway was flooded with tons of bits of minging bog roll, which had obviously been backing up for ages [​IMG] Once I'd cleared it all up followed by copious amounts of Jeyes fluid and bleach, I flushed the loo a couple of times and it was all clear. I wanted to be sure it was sorted so I poured water down the toilet but it filled up again. The access valve thingy was at ground level and when I took it off, more gunk came out but not enough to be clogging the pipe. Sussed out that the problem was below ground level as I could see the water level was sitting just below the opening and presumably this should be clear given that the water runs straight down into the sewer. So I had a go with the toilet auger which was the perfect angle for the job. I shoved that through the pipe a few times and brought more gunk out until the water level dropped. I've poured more water down the loo and it seems to be clear but if it becomes clogged again then I'll have another go. I've been thoroughly scrubbed several times (having splashback on your face is soooo not good [​IMG]) and my hands have been bleached to within an inch of their lives.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself and relieved because as I said it's been bugging me for months. Maybe I should sell my sh** clearing services [​IMG] [​IMG] Then again maybe not because it's a disgusting job [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      it is surelly rewarding to know a lot about plumbing as well as electrics and car engine related stuff - life teaches me. But: to take it on as a job requires dedication and passion. In the case of plumbing a lot of sitting on your knees and bending in tiny spaces would be frequent. If you are fit enough for that, great.:yes:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        My comment was tongue in cheek Java ;)

I am far too long in the tooth to start a new career and nor would I want one clearing up other people's 'mess' :eeew:

• redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
        Ratings:
        +10,623
        A plummer makes good money. Over here anyway.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Well done @merleworld , it's amazing how many DIY jobs we can achieve even tho we are female and perhaps slightly past our sell by dates (me anyway:)). We too have 1 drain that is prone to blocking and can't say it's my favourite job either unblocking it, but at least the cause is "home grown"!
        Think of all the £££££££s you've saved not getting the likes of Dynarod out. Do I sense a purchase from Crocus to celebrate being on the cards?

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Nice one Merle :thumbsup:

Next time you do it, if you find one of the fatty deposits that build up in sewers, you can boil that up with an alkali such as wood ash, to make soap :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            Definitely not :doh:I have far too many plants as it is - need to get rid of some given that I've bought a gazillion Hydrangeas over the past year or so (including four or five so far this year) :wallbanging: Although I have got my eye on one or two plants if I ever get the space :snork:

• Funny Funny x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Bravo!!! :yay::yay::yay: And so you should feel proud of yourself (I wouldn't know where to begin!) Kudos to you :thumbsup:

Here you go ... :star: :star: :star:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,389
                such a refined piece of information...:eeew:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Where did you think soap came from? :)

• Billybell

Billybell Gardener

Retired and spending my kids inheritence.
                  Ratings:
                  +532
                  That's the problem I find with cowboy plumbers, they just go through the motions. :snork:

• Funny Funny x 2