1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

This weed will not die! What is it?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by LRS, Sep 26, 2010.

1. LRS

LRS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Below are some pictures of this indestructible weed growing between the block pavers of my driveway which I am trying to eradicate. It almost looks more like a type of lichen than a weed.

I have tried both domestic and professional (Roundup Pro Biactive Weedkiller PROFESSIONAL GRADE) level weed killers on this stuff and nothing seems to kill it. It browns a little after application, but it soon comes back spreading everywhere between the pavers gaps. It will not grow under the cars â?? maybe due to lack of direct sunlight. To date the only way to remove it for a while is to physically scrape it out of the gaps which is very back breaking.

Any help and advice in how to get rid of this and keep it away will be very appreciated.

View attachment 2783View attachment 2784

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,186
    It looks like liverwort, in your photos it looks quite nice in the cracks, but obviously not to you.

I'm surprsied Roundup doesnt kill it - you would do better bruising the plant before applying roundup, those waxy leaves just make the spray run off. Another trick is to use a bit of detergent in the spray to help it stick to the plant.

3. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    I use this Hoaf weed flamer but if you haven't got access to one you can mix your weedkiller with wallpaper paste and paint it on. It may take a few applications but it works. If there are children or pets around it's also an idea to cover the areas you've treated until it dries.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You're not allowed to use vinegar as a herbicide, so I didn't tell you to, right.:wink:

:hol:

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    As John says, it`s Liverwort and I too am surprised Roundup didn`t kill it.:gnthb:

6. LRS

LRS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to everyone for the quick ID of this stuff. (Liverwort)

I have now had a good look around on the web for Liverwort killer and have seen many positive referrals to a product called 'MOGETON'.

You can buy it in the UK, however, it is quite an expensive outlay of £40 for .75k container. If it does the trick, however, I will probably make a purchase, especially if, as they say, it lasts for up to 6 months and effectively kills Liverwort, which apparently is a real nightmare to get rid of.

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Tesco value vinegar 17p a bottle. :dh:

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,186
    Let us know how you get on with it LRS.

9. LRS

LRS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the idea of giving this a go first, due to its low cost.

I'll stop in to Costco and pick up a Lt or two.

Do you know which vinegar type has the highest level of acetic acid? White or Malt?

Thanks

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Jings, I know the stuff you mean .LRS, but never knew its name.
    I'm surprised the patented weedkillers don't work.

For legal reasons I can't suggest anything which doesn't have a license as a weedkiller.

When we were kids we had to go and pour any water that had salt or vinegar in it on the cracks in the paths :wink:

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Like Alice says, cant reccomend using 5% pickling vinegar due to legal reasons.

Hey, I don't know why i'm doing this. i really like Liverworts, they are such a basic plant that colonise damp places. There is little better in life than finding a waterfall covered in Liverworts & sphagnum moss. Forget I even came in on this post. I lost my sense of purpose :dh::flag:

12. LRS

LRS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, in the right place Liverworts is lovely, but covering my driveway it's the enemy.

I found some industrial acetic acid that is 80%! Now that would do the trick, but would probably dissolve my driveway as well!

13. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point.

That sounds dangerous

14. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I had no idea what this weed is, but I too have it all over the patio, between the block paving. Occasionally I get a bamboo stick and scrap it out. Of course, this is not so feasible on a larger space!

15. LRS

LRS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just thought I would update with the final outcome.

Ended up purchasing a litre of ACETIC ACID (99.8% PURE), added table salt and washing up liquid and sprayed this combination on the indisructable liverwort.

Well, it certainly did the trick; the liverwort was already browning only a few hours after applying and was completely dead a day later! Wow this combination REALLY worked!

Its been a month since application with no sign of the liverwort returning.