1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

This years season

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Helofadigger, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What's surprised you so far this season?

One of our surprises has to be the Marfona potatoes. We experimented with a few spuds we had left from the farm as we couldn't get hold of the proper seed spuds for them. We just put 8 or so little spuds in the poato bed to see if or what they would do and my goodness we have had a lovely crop, really nice big spuds that taste divine! Hel.xxx.

2. Doogle

Doogle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm surprised with our Sweetcorn, having beeen devistated by a Badger when they had just poked their heads above ground, they all recovered and are producing!

On the other side, I think I'm surprised with the Spinach, it's just bolted. Talking with other people around here they have experienced the same. I guess it's the weather(?) Salad leaves etc are still going strong as are the Courgettes.

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    helen good to hear ive never heard of marfona potatoes maybe i will get some good tips off you when i eventually get my allotment for growing potatoes and other things, hope you enjopy your new potatoes i assume they are new ones

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Doogle our corns have cobs growing already too I like to give them a little shake when I do my rounds!:D

Rosa no the Marfona spuds are not 'new' spuds but white potatoes that you can store throughout winter and they make the best ever jacket potatoes or mash you can ever imagine!

I'ave posted the link below about these wonderful spuds.Hel.xxx.

http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/marfona/

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Our Corn, from the greenhouse, has been fantastic. The ones outside are coming on nicely. Going to be ready much earlier than the last time I grew them - probably a decade ago, or more.

Need to plant them in succession - these blessed F1 things all come together, and I reckon the crop will only last a fortnight, so I will need to plant 9 (to make a block) every couple of weeks or so next year.

I don't think I had realised, until I started keeping formal records this year, how short the harvest period is for crops [for veg types that don't keep producing]

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,185
    My Runner Beans (Enorma) have been very productive so far. Like Kristen I didn't keep detailed records in the past but I'm sure we never used to harvest any until the kids started their school holidays.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,185
    ... and my mangetout have been exceptionally sweet this year. Trouble is I planted a row right next to some 'normal' peas and they are now all mixed up in a big tangle.