1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Today in the Garden

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Jazmine, Sep 12, 2009.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    Well! It was a slightly warmer and brighter day today so I decided to mow the lawn. If I don't keep on top of things then they get away from me :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a lot more digging and composting to do in the veggie patch but we have dug over and composted the area under the black plastic in the background.

The plastic had kept the ground from getting too soggy :yho:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
      +35
      Now, that's a lawn after Mr K's own heart! The lawn neatly mowed and the edges trimmed to perfection, too. Sorry, Shiney, but I would let it grow to at least 3" and probably never think about the edges.

Since we can never agree on how it should look, I let him get on with it. :D

It's a good thing that we are all different or it would be boring. Well done, Shiney, I do know it is a lot of work, even if other people do it. :gnthb:

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      Spotted some dafs poking thier heads out yesterday in my little front patch.
      It looks like mother nature is doing its best for us again.

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
      Ratings:
      +694
      Hi Shiney, lovely pics there and I can see you have been busy! I wish I had a garden like yours :) I would be out there all day pottering {maybe not in this weather!}
      That is what I like so much about this forum - taking a peek into other peoples gardens and seeing how other people plan their planting.

Roll on the spring and I hope to see your garden in the flesh so to speak! :)

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,497
      Thanks Jazmine,

There's not much planning that goes into our planting :hehe:. The conversation usually goes:-
      "We've got some more plants that need planting so where shall we put them?"
      "There seems to be a gap over there."
      "That'll do."

See you later. :)

• maksim

maksim Gardener

Worker in Milan Malpensa Airport
      Castano Primo (Milan), 6 degrees south, 8 degrees
      Ratings:
      +59
      I've seen many of the pictures of your lawn.
      Congratulations !
      I also enjoy the architecture-style of your home+front-yard quite typical of the british area. I really enjoy them and they remind me of the times when I lived in London...
      Not to mention the way you look after your lawn. It is well shaped, well trimmed, well everything. Congratulations.
      Having said that, I wonder about the picture of the hanging tomatoes and I wonder if that picture was taken from your home in England or else from a summer-resort home maybe in Majorca, Benidorm, "the costa del sol", Gibraltar or Gran Canaria...
      I wonder how you managed to grow tomatoes in England.
      If you really did, Congratulations !
      It sounds me a bit strange to put it mildly...
      I hardly manage to grow tomatoes in my home, regardless I am from Italy (actually near Milan, northern Italy).
      Tomatoes in Britain... Everything's possible :D.

Ciao ! Bye !

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,497
      Hi maksim,

Thanks for your kind words :gnthb:

I'm surprised that you think we can't grow tomatoes in this country. Virtually all gardeners that grow vegetables also grow tomatoes.

Apart from growing them in a greenhouse that can be grown easily in a variet of places. There are many varieties that can be grown in hanging bakets and a lot of people grow them on patios and in the vegetable garden. Here are a few photos from my garden.

A normal crop of different varieties of tomato (including what are known here as Italian plum tomatoes)

[​IMG]

Some tomatoes grown in pots on my patio - including the plant that you enquired about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a picture of tomatoes in our vegetable plot

[​IMG]

They are easy to grow and we only feed the ones in pots and the greenhouse.

• maksim

maksim Gardener

Worker in Milan Malpensa Airport
      Castano Primo (Milan), 6 degrees south, 8 degrees
      Ratings:
      +59
      I admit that much: when it comes to talk about gardening I must admit that I am a layman.
      My wonder was due to the fact that I assume that not everything can be grown everywhere.
      Do you kwow those kind of maps showing, for example, the northern border of
      grape-growing ? Or wheat-growing ?
      We all know, for example, that we can not grow bananas in scandinavia... :D
      As well as we all know that we can not see fir trees at the maldives islands... :D
      I mean: not everything can grow everywhere.
      Pardon my "naif" language...
      Sometimes It's hard to me to get me understood in a language that is not my native one.
      So I use weird examples in an attempt to get me understood...
      Anyway I guess that you understand me...
      I know, for example that in Britain, on the whole, it's hard to grow grape...
      I do not mean that it is not possible...
      The northern border of grape growing is, roughly, along the Rhein river in Germany...
      Sure enough, there was a time when grape was grown in Britain as well.
      Actually that was about 1,000 years ago - in the Middle Ages, when our planet was going through a "warm era"...
      During that time, the earth average temperature was some degrees higher than today...
      That's the reason why "Greenland" is called "Greenland"...
      Why "Green-Land" if it is covered by ice-cap ???
      Because when it was discovered, in the Middle ages, it was not covered by an ice-cap.
      It was a "Green-Land", as it were...
      Now, you show me the tomatoes that you grow in your home in Britain.
      They also look very good, as red as they are...
      I can do nothing but "record" that: "YES, IN BRITAIN IT IS POSSIBLE TO GROW TOMATOES".
      It is never too late to learn what have you... :old: :)

Bye !

• shiney

Ratings:
      +118,497
      Hi maksim,

I think that your command of English is superb :cl-p: and I can't see any reason why you should be expected to know what we are able to grow in this country :flag: :)

As it happens there are many vineyards in this country and many of them are quite successful :thumb: - with five of them within 15 minute's drive from me.

http://www.englishwineproducers.com/vineyardregional.htm

I know very little about what it is possible to grow in Italy :scratch: and definitely can't write in Italian :o. At the moment I am growing some tomatoes from a packet of seed that an Italian friend sent to me. I asked an Italian friend in this country to translate all the printing on the back of the packet so that I could follow the instructions properly. He told me that they weren't instructions but were just a massive amount of legal disclaimers :dh:.

It is great that you are able to join in on this forum and I hope you continue to do so :).

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
      Ratings:
      +28,510
      Maksim, it was during the (Italian) Roman occupation of England 2,000 years ago that they brought vines here and we had vineyards all over the South of England and yes it was during a long period of warmer centuries. We do have quite a few here today still.
      We can grow Figs outside here too although they don't crop as heavy as it the Mediterreanean.
      Citrtus and Pomegranate are borderline, hardly ever fruiting well outside.
      If our climate does continue to warm up maybe we can grow more subtropical fruit here.

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Our dwarf azeleas in the bed at the side of the patio are starting to come out. They are a bit late and they all flower at different times.

[​IMG]

The Japanese acers are finally out. This one's had a "trim."

[​IMG]

Quite pleased with this one as it's only taken about three years to get it to the shape I like. I'll tidy up its "skirt" at the week-end.

The two trees in the big black pots are a Morello Cherry and a Conference Pear. We've also got a Braburn Apple and a Victoria Plum. Came bare rooted in October from "Ideal World" £50 for the four.

[​IMG]

This is the azelea in our front garden. Really pretty blooms, only a couple out but the original plant I've layered over 20 years and it now fills the border, not bad for 50p!

[​IMG]

My new edging pavers look good and the cheap B&Q turf one width deep round the edge of them has taken well. One rhodo out, two to come and of course the azaleas.

[​IMG]

The "lollipop acer" is about to come out. It has "green flowers."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The four wisterias are nearly there. This one was only £1.99 in a small pot from Altrincham market. But that was 20 years ago. I know I've pruned them correctly when the flowers bloom, but the foliage is a long way behind. There's about a couple of hundred there and about fifty on the bit that trails round under the eaves of the tea-house.

[​IMG]

I must be running out of things to do as I changed the light fitting in my tea-house, it was one of two we had in the kitchen before it was all updated and it was rather hard on the eyes. I've now got five flush-fitting spotlights in the ceiling. Only cost £14 from B&Q yesterday (old people's discount day!)

The wild bluebells which appear all around our garden each year are finally coming out too.

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
      Ratings:
      +1,320
      Acers looking really good DR

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,953
      :) It's Poppy time,every year they just come up and show off.

[​IMG]

• Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
      Ratings:
      +1,667
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,729
      I love poppies, Roders. I always thought the large oriental poppies were rather big for my little garden, especially as they don't flower for very long, but then I read one of the late Christopher Lloyd's books in which he said that by the time poppies have finished flowering, they have made all the growth they need to make for the year. So you can cut them right back immediately after they've flowered and you then have lots of space for something else. So now I have some nice flame coloured ones, with fringed edges!