1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays bargain

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by EddieJ, Sep 25, 2012.

1. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Being an oak framer for a living does has some advantages when it comes to sourcing cheap wood, and today was one of those days.

All this lot for £20.00.

The first piece measures 53" x 17" x 17" and weighs in at approx 310kg!

[​IMG]

Next up is this piece that measures 57" x 6" x 14" and weighs in at approx 97kg

[​IMG]

And finally these logs that caught my eye. First off I thought about making them into bird boxes, then after unloading them I instantly thought that they would make a couple of very quick and easy rustic benches. I just need to hollow them out into a heart shape, bolt them together, fit a bit of slab wood to the top, and the job is done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rough guide to show what I mean.

[​IMG]

I now need to come up with a plan of what to make or carve from the big pieces.

Any ideas??

• Like Like x 6
    • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,951
      What a bargain!!!! :)

Val

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      What to make with that lovely oak??...............

I know, a nice oak occasional table; and because I like you, I will give you a home for it and not even charge you any rent :snork:

• Like Like x 3
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Fab bargain, Eddie :dbgrtmb:

Love the heartshaped logs - just a thought: if you make them into a rustic bench, their beautiful shape gets a little "lost" :scratch:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,612
        Eddie, how about a wooden version of a 'standing stone' with the second piece of wood. Celtic knots and such like. :)

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        Eddie, you're so talented and creative that whatever you come up with will be fabulous. I LOVE the bench idea! Would it be possible to use some of the pieces for the back rest too?? And maybe the arm rests?? Not sure if that would be OTT or not.........

• Like Like x 1
        • EddieJ

Oak timber framer
          Ratings:
          +1,089
          Well the following was going to be my most ambitious carving project to date, but sadly it all went wrong after just 20mins of carving.

I was desperate to make something special and magical with this piece of oak, and decided upon carving a figure of a girl sitting on a log with one leg up and her arms/hands clasped around the shin, with her head almost resting on her knee, whilst the other leg hung down over the side of the log as though gently kicking the air. I imagined long flowing hair, and a lovely summer dress. All in all, a scene that would look as though she didn't have a care in the world and was just enjoying a bright sunny summers day.
          I spent the whole morning planing and marking, frightened to start. Then when I did start, the face area just fell apart. :( I knew that the piece of wood had faults, but had hoped that they would have just been cracks.

Oh well, perhaps another day. :(

[​IMG]
          [​IMG]

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,192
          That's a real shame Eddie, I'm sure you'll see something else in that piece.

• EddieJ

Oak timber framer
          Ratings:
          +1,089
          Unless I just leave it as a solid block it will just continue to fall apart. It sadly has ring shake.:sad:
          I knew that it had a bit of heart crack, but assumed that I could just get over that one.
          I'm just glad that it happened on the first few cuts, rather than the last.:yikes:

• Like Like x 1