1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomatillo's (again)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by dalbuie, Jun 19, 2005.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered with them, I mentioned about a week ago that they had small holes in the leaves which looked like burn marks. The holes are right through the undersides look like they have been chewed then spat out,it seems to be spreading very rapidly :eek: I put one of the plants outside last week and its also looking very poorly, I'm terrified it spreads to all my chilli plants all forty of them I would be very upset :mad: can anyone spread any light on this pleeeze?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Lost track of this one dalbuie so I didn't reply to your eairler question.
    Does it look like they have been shot full of holes, I mentioned before flea beetle, its a small black beetle that jumps when you disturb it.
    pete

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I had a look when you mentioned flea beetle but I couldn't see any trace of any kind of bug. I'm a bit stumped on this one and it looks like the plant is also about to be,I think I might just remove them from the greenhouse to be on the safe side, it's a pity because they are covered in flowers. I have had a look through my books and can't seem to find any answers there either, thanx anyway.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Are the leaves distorted while still small.
    what I am getting at is, are the leaves being damaged in the growing point, and then as the leaf expands the damage appears to get worse.
    I'd be inclined to give them a spray of a general insectercide, one spray could be all it needs

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Dalbuie,

Do you have a picture?

Nathan.

6. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    All the leaves that are infected seem to be fully grown and are not distorted,I think I will do what nathan suggested and take a picture, well I will atempt to [​IMG] watch this space and thanks [​IMG]

7. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HI here are some pictures of the tomatillo leaves front and back, any ideas?

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Well, I haven't got a clue myself what that might be, but if thats as bad as it gets, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment.
    I think I have seen something very similar on sycamore (acers), but I never worked out what causes it, might be a sap sucker which leaves this distortion behind when its gone.
    pete

9. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pete, I will keep an eye on them for now, if they get too bad I will remove them from the greenhouse.I'm going on holiday begining of July leaving my dad in charge of the animals and greenhouse, great with the animals but not so hot with the plants.Hopefuly by then things will have sorted themselves out one way or another. :D

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :confused: Can you see any sign of any insects anywhere on the plants? I have one capsicum plant that has that on it's leaves but can't see anything. Have yours got over it now & started flourishing? :confused:

11. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I still can't see any insects on them or on any other plants in the greenhouse, having said that the ants seem to have moved back in again :mad: they don't seem to have got any worse they are producing lots of flowers but no fruit behind them when they drop off. Thanks
    [​IMG]

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    shake the plants around midday when the flowers are open, it helps polination

13. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    hi, may be bacterial speck/ spot. good holiday.

14. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks hans, not heard of that one I will need to look it up somewhere.Leaving for holiday's on monday hope I don't come back to a greenhouse full of bacteria :D

15. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good look with yours [​IMG]

my tomatillo plants look so healthy and happy it makes me smile [​IMG]

god knows if they'll fruit though :D but they look good :D