Tomato alternate growing systems

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Sargan, Sep 7, 2016.

1. sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
    Ratings:
    +910
    Hi Tomhip
    See below my previous post on quadgrows
    2016 experiment.
    Quadgrow x 2

1) Pots filled with Canna compost + worm compost FBB, seaweed meal mychorrhizae fungi, and Cal/mag. (calcified seaweed)
    Fed weekly into top of pot with organic fertilizer (Bio Bizz Grow and Bloom) using only water in tank for constant supply, this water airated with air pump and stone. This has eliminated blossom end rot and a great crop of tasty toms. cropped until November

Quadgrow x 2

2)
    Pots filled with Canna compost + worm compost FBB, seaweed meal mychorrhizae fungi and Cal/mag (calcified seaweed)
    Used as directed by quargrow with their chemical fertilizer in tank, (Nutri grow half strength) this water airated with air pump and stone, cleaning out tank every four weeks and replenishing with fresh fertilizer.
    Good crop But not as tasty as in 1) However tanks have to be cleaned out every 3/4 weeks or so and replenished as get high in salts and gunged up. This has eliminated blossom end rot and cracking/splitting, good until early August when plants suffered nutrient burn. This led to disease entering plants at burn sites. Plants removed August.

Quadgrow x 2

3) Pots filled with Canna compost + worm compost FBB, seaweed meal mychorrhizae fungi and Cal/mag. (calcified seaweed)
    Used as directed by quargrow however using bio bizz organic fertilizer in tank. airated with air pump and stone,
    Good crop and still cropping . However tanks have to be cleaned out every 3/4 weeks or so and replenished as get gunged up and clog air stone. This has eliminated blossom end rot and cracking/splitting, great crop of tasty toms. Still cropping. 19th Sept

Note in all cases roots have grown down into the tank and are thick and healthy.

4) Eight plants of four different varieties grown in bottomless pots in border, filled with Garden compost + worm compost + rotted horse manure, FBB, seaweed meal mychorrhizae fungi and Cal/mag added (calcified seaweed)
    Border consists of soil and home made compost. Pots fed weekly with maxicrop tom feed.
    These toms suffered blossom end rot and cracking. Plants also produced much less fruit and the taste was OK but not half as good as quadgrow in 1) Plants now finished cropping.

Will use method 1) next year as this allows me to grow organically and removes any erratic watering, Also removes the need to dump tank contents clean out and renew fertilizer.

Tanks only require topping up every four days with large plants.
    I found the nutri grow fertilizer to harsh even at reduced strength, I Will use all the nutri grow for my flowers.
    Regards alex

• Like Like x 1
    • Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
      +113
      Again my thanks Alex I don't want to become a pain in the proverbial but may I ask if you think that the pump and stone is a vital element in option one!

• sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
      Ratings:
      +910
      Hi Tom
      I grew one quadgrow in 2015 in the conservatory where I did not use the airstone and had great results that is what prompted me to buy more quadgrows. The airstone was used in the greenhouse quads due my previous experience with hydroponics.
      The airstone is not essential

Regards Alex

• Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
      +113
      Thanks pal I will get on with obtaining the ingredients and hopefully grow some good uns

• Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
      Ratings:
      +270
      Hi I'm new to all this I've bought a green house (8x6) and I'd like to grow tomatoes cucumbers and chilli's. I don't know if I should grow in pots, grow bags or the soil on which the greenhouse will be sited. Sorry to use your post Sargen I've only joined this forum and don't know how to ask questions yet

• Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
      +113
      Hi spacemunky I have found that the Quadgrow is better than grow bags and pots by far it takes away the watering problem and they really do produce a good crop.
      Tomhip

• Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
      Ratings:
      +270
      Hi Tomhip, what's Quadrow?? Are they similar to grow pots with a reservoir around?

• Tomhip

Tomhip Gardener

Ratings:
      +113
      I have yet to learn how to post a picture on this forum (As I would take a picture and post). so I would advise you to go on the web and search for Greenhouse Sensation you will be able to see pictures of quadgrows amongst lots of other growing platforms and also download a brochure
      Tom

• Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
      Ratings:
      +270
      Thanks Tomhip I'll take a look on their website

• Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
      +2,879
      Hi Spacemonkey,

These are Quadgrows :-

[​IMG]

I'm going to be trying Autopot XL's for the first time this year, as I hear nothing but good reviews on them.

• Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +34

Did you track down a good on-line source?

• Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      OK .. update

I purchased 2 x Quadgrows after reading much about their benefits.
      This year only Toms in them ......

Found Greenhouse Sensation prices don't seem to discount these - but at least I got a free postage deal.
      Their customer service & aftersales is very good.

I used CannaTerra compost + FBB+ Mycorrhizal Funghi.
      Waterring seems to be working fine - toms starting to appear.
      Curently following Greenhouse Sensations advice of their AB feeds in 100% of the water.

I am willing to consider supplementary feeding, I Know Bio Bizz Grow is mentioned here - would this be a good addition to AB ? currently at 3ml of each per Litre.
      See some instructions to use 3ml per litre, others 6ml per litre.

If I continue with AB (as I have it) should I increase to 6ml Litre, or stay at 3ml - feed seems to be 18-9-36 when mixed
      and if main watering is from tank ... what would I top feed with (Bio Grow ??) once a week ?

Sorry for a number of questions - but 1st time with Quadgrow

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    • Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
      +134
      The plants are likely getting most of what they need from the compost,at least for now. The GH AB is more or less acting just as a supplement at 3ml/L. If the plants look healthy i would leave them be as too much fertilizer or fertilizers with the wrong ratio will do more harm than good.

• Sargan

Sargan Gardener

Ratings:
      +34
      Is this a liquid extract? ... or the powdered variety.

• Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
      +134
      Toms need a lot more nitrogen,potassium and calcium during fruit production. The potassium is stockpiled "in the plant" from the point the first flowers appear so they have enough available to satisfy the initial spike in demand.
      30ml of A and B per litre will be way too much, your EC will be around 4.4 on top of your tapwater ;) For fruiting toms in a mediumless system i`d suggest using 10ml/L of A and 7ml/L of B. Using compost complicates things because you cant be sure of whats (left) in it.