1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Cuttings

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, May 20, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Has anyone who has grown Tomatoes from cuttings observed whether they form their first truss lower to the ground than normal?

Might be a solution to the "how many trusses before they hit the roof" problem?!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I'll be interested to know this as well. I started a few cuttings about 4 weeks ago - I'm not sure why, I don't need them as I've grown far too many tomatoes already (even after giving half away yesterday).

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I grew some cuttings for my Mother in law. I'll pot one or to on to 11" and see compare the height of the first truss.

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I'll do the same. Are there any signs of the first truss appearing on your cuttings kristen?

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    They were only taken a couple of weeks ago - but TBH I haven't looked, they are still in the plastic bag I put the pot in as cuttings :(

I've got the next round of seedlings to prick out / pot on, so I'll plan to do that tonight I think.

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Can I ask why you are taking cuttings kristen? I know your fairly well organised and would have grown your plants from seed.

Steve...:)

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    :) Steve, Isn't it a bit like going to the GC and buying things you know you don't have space for.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I let one side shoot develop on each plant, with the intention of taking cuttings. I wanted some spares "just in case", and realised I should have planted some seed for my Mother in law, and had forgotten!

I know they root easily, but I hadn't expected them all to take!

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I had a good look at my cuttings this morning, there is the first tiny flower truss forming just above the third set of leaves.

Kristen, how does that compare to 'normally' grown plants? I can't compare it to my 'normal' tomatoes to see where the first flower truss is on them, because I've just 'deep' planted them and stripped off the lower leaves.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    You are just trying to expose my Nerdy-ness, but you are in luck as I asked for this data on another forum a month or so back.

Number of leaves to the first flower truss - excluding seed leaves (the leaves are alternate, rather than being in pairs, so I counted each leaf rather than each pair).

Ailsa Craig and Shirley [sown 15Feb] and Gardeners Delight [sown 01Mar] all 26", give or take an inch, and 9 leaves from soil to first truss.

Other answers included:

four Goldstar plants all nine leaves to the first truss.
    three Cedrico plants two with nine leaves, the other has eight.
    flower trusses range from 17.5" and 20.5" from soil (compost) level, although two Cedrico are only 15".

Alicante: 10 leaves 23" to first flower
    Harbinger: 10 leaves 10" to first flower
    Tamara: 7leaves 16" to first flower

Tumbling toms about 18"

tigerella and black cherry 6 leaves
    Ailsa Craig 8 leaves

Be interested to hear how your deep-planted, and cuttings, fare.

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Thanks Kristen, its all useful info. I'll be getting out my tape measure as well now. Initially it looks like my cuttings will form their first truss much lower down. I'll get some photos posted when they are potted on.