1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Grafting

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity and the need for space saving I'm going to try 2 grafts from one root stock .I had cut the tops off some stock to encourage side shoots to grow to graft on to but that failed so after looking through different grafting methods this can be done but everyone I've seen have cut the top of the root stock off and grafted beneath it ,I assume it's to take the energy to the scions:dunno:...does anyone think it would be OK to leave the rootstock intact?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,054
    Maybe you can leave the rootstock intact until the grafts 'take'? I should think if you leave the rootstock intact all the time the plant will put it's energy into that rather than the scions.

But it's all guesswork from me, like you say all I've ever seen with twin grafts, the rootstock growing point is removed.

3. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Great John ,thanks for that,I'll give it a go:thumbsup:

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    Hi Loli

When I bought my grafted cucumber from B&Q (Suttons Shakira) it had a mini plastic bulldog clip on the actual graft to hold the two pieces together

5. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Super Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +893
    I've done a bit of budding and grafting in the past. This year I tried and failed at tomato grafting using tubing. Respect to you sir for getting it to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +46,054
      I've bought Estamino tomato rootstock from Kings Seeds, plus have a few Arnold rootstock from 2012. Planning to sow my rootstock in early Feb then the scions five days or so later.

• alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +196
      Hi All
      I have found that using mycorrhizal fungi for the roots does away with the need to graft you get a huge root system and no disease. I have been using it for several years now on Toms.
      See report
      Mycorrhizal plants are often more resistant to diseases, such as those caused by microbial soil-borne pathogens. AMF was also significantly correlated with soil biological fertility variables such as soil fungi and soil bacteria, including soil disease.[citation needed] Furthermore, AMF was significantly correlated with soil physical variable, but only with water level and not with aggregate stability.[15][16] and are also more resistant to the effects of drought.[17][18][19] It is known the significance of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi alleviation of salt stress and their beneficial effects on plant growth and productivity. Although salinity can affect negatively arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, many reports show improved growth and performance of mycorrhizal plants under salt stress conditions

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
        Ratings:
        +86
        Saw your picture above of tomato on a black beauty. this is the opposite (Black Beauty on Arnold Tom)and it worked well. Worth a try again, JWK.
        image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +46,054
          Hi @alexmac, are you planting your tomatoes in the same soil year after year? I'm tempted to give the mycorrhizal fungi a go this year, I tried it a couple of years back for growing giant onions and found it didn't make any difference but maybe it's got a better effect with tomatoes.

• alexmac

alexmac Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +196
            hi JWK i have been growing for last three years in same border soil on a ring culture method . this year i will be growing in quadgrows in one greenhouse and in border soil in the other.
            Used a quad as a trial last year and was impressed with the crop and flavour, did not use chemicals supplied with quad , i used organic fertilizer.
            regards alex

• Like Like x 1
            • chuck

chuck Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +73
              Grafting is being tried over here as well with some success with commercial growers but is still in the (I guess you could say) experiental stage. Still to expensive to be economically viable however. Soil rejuvenation however is a different story. Great strides have been made in the past few years and many ongoing experiments are looking very hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,054
                Made a start - sown two types of rootstock: Estamino (from Kings Seeds) & Arnold (from Moles). After 4 or 5 days I'll sow the scions.

• DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
                  Ratings:
                  +86
                  Good on you, JWK
                  Going to start myself tomorrow 1st Feb. Will sow some aubergines first. Going to try a few varieties and try some grafts onto Arnold like the one I did last year with a black beauty. Got a few different packets so quietly hopeful of a few successes. wIll probably have to give a week or so before sowing rootstock as aubergines very slow starters. Going to start some toms in about a week Vanessa and Butchers again. Will be grafting these again as good success last year.. Will let you know progress as we go along. Seems to have been a long break from garden and allotment this year. I think winters get longer as you get older!!!

• Like Like x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,054
                    I've sown a succession of rootstock and scions over a week long period, all are germinated now. I'm trying to get a bit of variation in stem diameter, as in previous years (when I sowed them all at the same time) I've had trouble matching them up. The stem diameters need to be pretty much the same when it come to grafting otherwise they don't 'take'. I've sown a lot more scions than I need to improve my chances too. The five pots on the right with bigger seedlings are the rootstock:

20160213-P2130001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                    • DRB

DRB Gardener

Fully retired now
                      Ratings:
                      +86
                      Same here but disaster! Put a load of Arnold I had left over from last year in and then Vanessas at 2 and 3 days afterwards as that worked well last year. Also was going to use these for grafting aubergines which were just germinating. But only one scrawny Arnold came up!! So now have tray of 30 lovely Vanessa seedlings and loads of different aubergines, all with no mates to go out with. However did plant some of last years Submarine rootstock (Moles) which were ok but grow very fast. But have paired 10 up with some Fandango toms I planted also. Currently in healing chamber.
                      I bought some new Arnold and have started again with the Vanessa but looks like aubergine trial has gone out the window as now coming into March. I think the growing season will be too short allowing for the catch up time required if I did graft them.. Hope yours going ok, JWK?

• Like Like x 1