1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Growing Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2022.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,159
    Welcome to the forum @Slogaa

Generally people sow tomato seed mid-March. It depends on a few things, you can sow a little earlier if you have grow-lamps and a greenhouse. You would need to delay a month if you intend to plant them outdoors with no greenhouse. Also depends on your last frost date, I guess you are similar to me, it's normally early May. You can't plant tomatoes outdoors if temperatures are below 5C and ideally above 10C. So it's kind of working backwards from when you can get the plants into their final positions.

Sowing too early is tempting to get a head start but tomatoes grow quick and become leggy searching for light on a warm windowsill. Better to delay as usually later sowings catch up and do better in the long run.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,331
      I have an unheated greenhouse and I sow my tomato seed end of Feb, early March (about month after chilli seed). Start off on a heated mat with growlights in the garage and then after pricking out into individual pots they start spending mild days in the greenhouse with fleece over them, to help prevent sunburn, and come in at night. mid to late April they start overnighting in the greenhouse, on mild nights, with fleece and/or newspaper over them.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • DieAna

DieAna A girl with a fork in the world of soup.

Ratings:
        +85
        Thank you guys! I would consider myself as a very young person not only in growing but also on my passport as well. In general gardening takes SOOO MUCH knowledge that I am literally crying. My granny had an allotment ( I am Lithuanian!). But when I was a kid, green "stuff" for me did not exist.

Well that changed in my first uni year. So in tropical plant growing "industry" I am counting around 5 yrs. Some shows, some prizes, some "acknowledgment", but when it comes to soil I am looking at it and asking myself "Where is that BIOLOGY teacher when i finally NEED HER".

Also I am all about ecology - so no nasty chemicals in my yard! Which makes my life even more complicated. Not that long ago I was reading about nematodes and I could not believe how we, Homo sapiens, ARE SO CLEVER!! Used nemaslug in greenhouse, seen all those dead bodies and thought I will call my Biology teacher (although i guess she doesnt even remember my name anymore ).

Where we were at.. when to sow - its my biggest question every year. I have greenhouse, i have half of the greenhouse heated... i have lamps, but its still every single year: " WHEN?". I think last year I even subscribed to Chelmsford weather station for them to inform me WHEN is the last day of frost haha. :heehee:

Ok, made a note - no sowing in January yet February (but I can't promise.... its so tempting).

Also one more question:
        Where do you buy seeds after brexit?

Vertiloom refuses to ship and I did not see a huge versatility among UK sellers.

• Like Like x 5
        • Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,589
          Hi DieAna, if you find tomato growing groups on facebook, you'll be surprised, how mahy varieties you can buy :). I did buy on ebay too.

• Like Like x 2
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,331
            Nickys Nursery have a good selection of tomato seeds. Simply Seeds is another. Just search for a few names of tomatoes and suppliers generally pop up especially if you put seed after the name.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +46,159
              I got the majority of my tomato seed from Kings (just up the road from you @DieAna in Kelvedon) we get a discount through the allotment association. I've sometimes used just seed and premier seeds as well, both are very good value on Ebay and Amazon.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,159
                @shiney is not far away so could advise when approximately the last frost is for you @DieAna. That's half the story really because there can be quite cold nights in May and June which tomatoes dislike.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,491
                  @DieAna Welcome to GC. It's not quite that easy as the last frost changes from year to year. You can sow your seeds in March and use your lamps. Then, when the weather is a bit warmer move the plants into the heated part of the greenhouse. We bring ours up indoors as our place is always warm and just keep them by the glass patio doors. Later they get moved into a heated propagator in the greenhouse and moved out into the unheated area of the greenhouse around mid May.

I would guess your heated area would be at the far end. Once the toms are able to be in the unheated part it is better to keep them nearer the door as they don't like humidity. Of course, you could plant them outside in June but we don't plant toms outside any more as there always seems to be blight around.

• Like Like x 3
                  • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,616
                    Sounds crazy but @DieAna I have grown tomatoes from seeds taken out of a regular "store bought" tomato. I dried it, and then sowed it in potting soil, not too deep. And later it became a seedling. Maybe I got lucky but if you buy tomatoes, the seeds would be "free" for you to try :)

• Like Like x 3
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,159
                      I have in the past saved seeds from supermarket fruit and always been disappointed. Supermarket varieties are bred for yield and shelf life and even for hotter growing conditions in Spain etc. Taste is bottom of their list. You only find out after months of tending. No harm in saving seed from fruit you have grown and like, providing they are not F1.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,990
                        I have used supermarket fruit and it seems to work for me, but then I'm no tomato expert.

I wouldn't grow seed from any you dont really like, but that's stating the obvious.:biggrin:

It works for peppers as well.

• Like Like x 2
                        • DieAna

DieAna A girl with a fork in the world of soup.

Ratings:
                          +85
                          First of all, guys - thank you all for such a warm welcome. I think it's the first time people welcomed me warmly and did not shout: "YOU WROTE IN a WRONG THREAD". Hah, thank you for that.

Now with seed situation - I tried growing supermarket fruits and oh no.. thats deff not for me. Amount of fruits are very scarce and taste is... like from supermarket in winter time. Cherry tomatoes are not bad - but hey, theyre not bad even in supermarkets!

So after realising this fact - and as @JWK mentioned - usually supermarket vegs are hybrids and you loose half of the good features if you grow it from seed..
                          My first seeds came from family heritage - it was russian varieties - Cosmonaut Volkov ( did you know the story behind this tom name?) and Gigantic sugar. Obviously, with time - collection grew, but pretty much I am still into eastern europe (Russia, Belarus, Lithuania, Siberia, Ukraine ) tomatoes.

I just "facebooked" today any UK groups and sadly.. i could not find any. Ebay doesnt do justice either. Am I just fussy ...???? If you could share pages it would be helpful !

By the way, members of this forum doesnt sell any seeds?

@shiney - By any chance, could you shout at me when your tom seed will touch the ground please? :D Also, as I mentioned - I was inspecting Chelmsford weather station ( i think its the nearest bigger on in essex) and they posted "last day of frost" when it was end of spring - when they were 100% sure in stats... so I was a bit confused, where do I need to get this information prior of sowing, because as you mentioned - you never know when the minus will hit you!

I just read, guys, your recommended months and I am scared - because till this day I was planting them way earlier... even into open ground.. And none ever died. But maybe I was just lucky..

• Like Like x 2
                          • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
                            +2,565
                            Real seeds have a couple of Russian bred tomatoes

I bought a few from tomato eden in Poland but they seem to have stopped selling seeds

You can buy a lot of seeds on Etsy

Also all the usual suppliers, premier seeds direct, tamar organics, kings, seed cooperative etc etc

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                              Ratings:
                              +21,331
                              @DieAna You could ask relatives/friends to drop some seeds in the post to you. Perhaps look into saving some of your own seed. Tomato seed keeps well, I've germinated 5 year old seed without too much issue.
                              Tomatoes are fairly hardy plants so don't worry too much if you are a bit quick of the mark. Likewise if you are a bit late don't worry they will catch up and if not you get an extended season.

• Agree Agree x 3
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • JWK

Ratings:
                                +46,159
                                Further to Nigel's reply, then keep doing what you are doing, you obviously have green fingers and maybe a very sheltered garden.

• Like Like x 2
                                • Agree Agree x 1