1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato Growing Thread 2022

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,529
    Those ones are Sevryuga. I got them and a few others from tomato eden, unfortunately they have stopped selling online
    Sevryuga - Heirloom Tomato Seeds - TomatoEden Site.
    Can definitely recommend growing a range of tomatoes, they are all so different.

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,053
      It's good to grow different varieties for the taste and various culinary recipes, it also provides some insurance against the vagaries of the weather, pests and diseases. Some years my favourite varieties grow poorly whilst others excel, every season is a lottery.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • JWK

Ratings:
        +46,053
        Thinking back to when I first started growing tomatoes 40+ years ago, I only ever grew Moneymaker and Gardener's Delight. Blight was never a problem and we had access to more effective pesticides, a dose of systemic Benlate cured botrytis for example.

There were no internet discussions like nowadays, I only picked up snippets of knowledge from the older generation and books. So I was growing the same as my parents and probably my grandparents, things didn't change.

When my children arrived I bought a packet of fun tomato seeds different colours and sizes for their amusement. That sparked my interest too and I realised there was much more available than Dr Hessayon described in his Expert books.

It's great we have this forum to compare and discuss varieties and growing methods. If anything there is too much information now, particularly on some social media sites which confuse me. Finding the right one when starting out probably puts off most for life. I suppose new people watch Monty Don to get some ideas. How did you all start?

• Like Like x 4
        • Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +823
          The last ten or so posts are very interesting regarding 'modern' tomatoe growing. Agree regarding varieties grown. I learnt from my dad in the forties and fifty but we only grew one or two varieties (could it have been Gardeners Delight? that early???) Otherwise it would have been Percy on tele!!

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,640
            I think I probably grew moneymaker for the first few years the name meant most people grew that one.
            After that I remember Alicante and Alisa Craig, frkm then on it's not been any thing special, apart from one year when I grew about 10 different varieties I'd never heard of and ended up with hardly any tomatoes, which kind of put me off.
            Not tried any of the "new to us" varieties I'm just happy if they are edible. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
              +611
              Hi Jwk like you 50,years ago there was no such thing as pressing a button and get some info off internet all l had was books and by me there an attotment so sometime got some snippets from other gardeners it was more of trial and error but you know I learnt alot but today with so much info I prefer just this super forum and maybe look occasionally on internet
              I grew money maker tomotoes for awhile there was nothing else but when different varieties came out I thought shall.I grow another variety?but decided to stick to one I always grown then I went to a freinds house and she was growing tomotoes in baskets I liked them and so now I just grow cherry tomatoes I prefer them

• Like Like x 3
              • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                +583
                So hoorah, looks like we might get a bit of rain today.

So have to remove this garotte bicolour, it's heavy and it's blushing. I don't want a casualty if it pours down. Others are supported nicely and I am hoping their skin is more elastic as they are more green

IMG_20220815_142410.jpg
                So here it is, 507 g of tomato

• Like Like x 6
                • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                  +583
                  So another new type ripening,

This is caspian pink. Quite uniform, yet to taste. The plant suffered with a little BER in the early fruiting. It threw out a lot of fruit and I don't think it could manage it. Other plants faired better, I removed the 4 or 5 fruit and it seemed to be alright and threw out replacements.

IMG_20220815_194339.jpg

• Like Like x 5
                  • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                    +583
                    SMFL is now ripening too, quite large well formed fruit. Again no idea what this tastes like but the plant alone with all its flowers was fun enough. IMG_20220815_194606.jpg

• Like Like x 4
                    • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                      +583
                      This is the multiflora hanging tomato from the ballerics, de colgar, anyone know what to do when they ripen ?

IMG_20220815_195028.jpg

• Like Like x 2
                      • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                        +583
                        Hi, so I am probably the newest into growing with any conviction and attention. I remember having a small veg patch in my parents garden when I was 10. But over the years, although I liked to grow stuff it was always with limited space available and I'd flit from one thing to another. One year onions, one year flowers, etc. Always a bit of a filler of the spare time, in short supply , I had. In the last few years I have expanded more now I have a little space but it is never enough. So I try to maximise as much as possible, pushing on space and any available slot. Then I realised I just like growing stuff. I don't always eat what I produce, I am fascinated by how it grows and environment. The last few years I have taken a huge interest in tomatoes and realised the one subject that I dropped from school, biology, is perhaps the one I really should have taken. I love reading about genetics and traits and the tomato is one plant that gives a good opportunity to look into. I love heirloom varieties and reproduce the seed diligently, bit I also love the newer varieties and combinations of taste and colour and love to do my own crosses. But it's not all about taste or looks, I love to see about growth habit, development of roots, the form of the fruit, it's reliability, it's resistance to disease. I stuff as many tomatoes in my gob, in the freezer,and now my instapot dehydrator but there will always be too many. Next year, some varieties will still be in and some will be out in favour of some other variety I've not yet heard of.
                        It's fun, and whether it's the tiniest grape/cherry or a big Fatboy beefsteak they are all great to grow.

• Like Like x 4
                        • JWK

Ratings:
                          +46,053
                          Difficult to guess, it wouldn't be good to keep them too warm in a centrally heated house. I've managed to store tomatoes till Christmas once or twice in a cool place, so with a thick skinned variety like that there will be more chance. In the balearics their autumn/winter must be frost free so maybe they hang them outdoors in cooler conditions, I wonder if you have a frost free shed/garage to try?

• Like Like x 2
                          • JWK

Ratings:
                            +46,053
                            Where do you get those plastic hangers from @SunnyGin ?

• Like Like x 1
                            • SunnyGin

SunnyGin Gardener

Ratings:
                              +583
                              @JWK the plastic hangers are from amazon. They are really good and cheap too. I reuse them from year to year. I use kinglake tomato support j hooks . He careful not to pick different brands on successive purchases as they might be slightly different in size and makes doubling up for a longer hook a slight problem.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Informative Informative x 1
                              • Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                                +823
                                Excellent account Sunny Gin! So much like my experience. Not Gardeners Delight, that was much more recent! Moneymaker was one of the older varieties I'm sure and always grown in the greenhouse with lots of well rotted manure (dad would get local farmer to bring in a lorryload for the 'terrace' to share, good old council houses!) and I'd collect a bucket full of stuff from the hens to scatter on the soil round the toms!
                                Then it was Amateur Gardner, I think (as well as the wartime gardening books) But it was Ring Culture that first made me think about Tomatoes in particular. In my case it was Biology (Botany and Zoology) that got me going, and I started teaching Rural Studies/Biology from college. So Oxfordshire, Somerset and Shropshire became where we lived and planted seeds. Somehow that's what gardening is, the movement from seed back to seed. After I'd retired I was tempted back, a morning a week, to get young children through those pointless SAT tests. Wasn't difficult and they planted lots of seeds as well as finding out how Physics fitted in!!!
                                Shirley was the other superb variety along with Ailsa Craig. All those seeds sown!!!

• Like Like x 2
                                • Informative Informative x 1