1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato plants - leaves (and some fruit) suddenly curled and discoloured... Help!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

Our tomatoes are about the only thing that have been doing well this year.... Up until now that is.....

On inspection 2 days ago (Sunday) all seemed well and dandy. Yesterday (Monday) I forgot to open the greenhouse before leaving for work and it therefore remained closed until 3pm. I opened it then and it was obviously VERY hot in there. One of the plants was wilting but the others all looked ok. Compost a little dry, but left it until the evening to water.

This morning I've opened it up and most of the plants have wilting/curling leaves with discolouration. One or two green tomatoes have been affected but the rest are ok. All are still green at the moment.

Here's a pic of how things looked on Sunday:

Sunday.JPG

And here are some pics of the problem as it is this morning:

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

If anyone can offer any advice as to what the problem is and what we need to do, I'd really really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Max

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Not sure where you are, it would help putting your location in your profile.

Assuming you are getting the same heat wave as in the South then I'm afraid those plants have been fried. Best to limit damage by keeping everything open even at night for the time being.

Those pots look too small, they will need watering at least twice a day.

3. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi JWK

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Good point re location - I've added it to my details. I'm in North Norfolk , so yes it has been pretty hot.

Before posting I looked up briefly on line as to what the problem might be and feared that it might be tomato wilt or some kind of fungal disease. I was worried because if it is something like that I read that there would be no hope, and that it spreads alarmingly quickly.

Do you think it's possible it could be something like that? Or is it looking like it is definitely just that they got to hot and/or dry?

Happy to upload more photos if it would help diagnose.

I will indeed keep the greenhouse open overnight. And certainly won't forget to open it in the again! And will increase the watering regime too! The pots are mostly around 15L at a guess. What kind of size is optimum (for future reference)?

Many thanks once again.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    I don't think it's Blight as you would see that on the stems and it would have spread like wild fire on them all. I'm certain it's sun-burn, once a plant become wilted it cannot resist the heat of the sun and hence goes all brown/shriveled.

The larger the better when it comes to pots, I have used 35L in the past and still had trouble keeping them watered, they were with too soggy to begin with then dried out too quickly.

That's the trouble of working, you need to be at home to keep an eye on your plants - maybe they will give you time off :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,616
      Can you sit the pots in trays of water as well to tide them through the day? Mine don't seem to mind having wet feet :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • blacktulip

blacktulip Gardener

Ratings:
        +228
        I think you can bury a big filled bottle up side down with small drilled holes on cap in the pot. It should be able to feed the plant with water through the day.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,508
        I agree with John, almost definitely scorched. As a point of reference, once my indoor tomatoes get going, I leave the door open all the time, unless it's forecast to drop below 10c at night.