Tomato Taste Test

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Sep 5, 2010.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Thanks for that Ziggy. I tried oven drying my surplus toms last year - it took a fair bit of time but the results were worth it.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried oven drying some green toms, failed as i didn't oil the tray first, they all stuck. Taste ok though. Just thought i'd check out how to do it properly :dh:

3. JWK

Ratings:
    +45,635
    I followed a recipe on the internet last year Ziggy, there wasn't much to it, slice them thinly and use a tiny bit of oil, then put them in the oven for about 4 or 5 hours at a low heat - 100deg ish from memory. I only tried it once, it takes a lot of preparation and the finished product was so tasty that it was eaten nearly straight away.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There is that danger, Mrs tried the green tom relish & said that wont last long.

She moaned that i'd caught too many sprats when I came home with 27lb of them, after i'd smoked them & bottled them in olive oil, she was moaning that i'd not caught enough of them when they ran out in january.

Should have'd listened to mother, when we were at school, she used to call her contrary mary; I never understood, as her name is becky.:doh:

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    For a glut of ripe tomatoes - try homemade red tomato chutney.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the Tea and Tomatoes this morning John, was great to meet you.

Just got home, having a rest before sorting out for work tommorow.

I have to say, all the toms are good, I think the floridity has the strongest flavour, followed by the yellow ones but they'll all be going in my sandwiches for tommorow:gnthb:

7. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Update : Mrs just said the black ones are VERY good.

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Glad you got home safe Ziggy.

It goes to show how different people like different tastes. The Black Cherry don't store very well once picked so eat them up as quick as possible. I had a salad at lunch time, it's nice to see the different colours and shapes on a plate.

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sandwiches were lovely today :gnthb:

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Great stuff Ziggy, glad you like them! I never tire of eating fresh tomatoes, had half a dozen with my spam sandwiches today - yum!

11. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    How about spam, spam, tomatoes and spam? That hasn't got much spam in it.

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Clare! :)

Apparently we are too posh to have spam in our house. Luckily our in-laws were given a harvest festival shoe box with a tin of spam, my kids think it's horrible, I liked it before monty python made it famous, honest!

13. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I had no idea they still made the stuff. As kids we used to dread going to Grandma's because she was obsessed with spam fritters. You had to eat them or else you got a five-hour lecture on all the poor starving people who would just love those greasy little rectangles. My sister got a bit feisty once and offered to post hers to someone who might better appreciate it. The aftermath wasn't pretty. Are you sure the in-laws weren't given a tin that some little old lady has been hoarding since the War?

14. JWK

Ratings:
    +45,635
    Funny how some foods can bring back the memories like that. I'm none too keen on it being cooked either, it has to be 'fresh' out the tin for me. It could have been hoarded or maybe has been doing the rounds, a lot of people do the same as us, we sent our son to school with a tin of raspberries from last years in-laws box, it was still within date - well someone might not be so fussy.

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I had my stag night in a huge house in Gomshall. My mates parents had been in hong cong for decades.

On getting the munchies in the middle of the night, I investigated the kitchen.

All the stuff in the cupboards was from the 1960s.

Made a just edible cake.