1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomato trouble

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Dingledangle, May 17, 2020.

1. Dingledangle

Dingledangle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So I spent the last 3 months growing and nurturing 12 different varieties of tomatoes to put in my greenhouse. I put them in about 3 weeks ago 26 in total and the plants where all very strong and healthy. about 5 days ago go 1 started to wilt on top and no now around half are dead or dying. At first I thought it might have been Frost damage but no now it's spreading rapidly it's also affected my grape vine and killed it. can anybody twll me what this could be? was thinking early blight or grey mould 20200516_092613.jpg 20200516_092709.jpg 20200516_092556.jpg 20200516_092600.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    There was a very severe frost early morning Tuesday 12th May.

• Agree Agree x 2
      Last edited: May 17, 2020
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      What night temperature are you keeping the green house at and where were the plants growing before you planted them out?

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,340
      Unless you live in the USA I doubt if it's early blight. Where are you?

• Dingledangle

Ratings:
      +2
      im in the north west of England

• Dingledangle

Ratings:
      +2
      not sure about night temps other then local weather reports . it went down to 1 Degrees so I'm assuming it was warmer in the greenhouse the plants were in my conservatory before planting in greenhouse.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,050
      An unheated greenhouse would be very similar to outside temperatures overnight.
      I assume the conservatory is heated, double glazed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Dingledangle

Ratings:
        +2
        yea when iv tested the temp in the past there is usually a 3 degree difference between inside and outside temperatures at night. Yes the conservatory is heated.

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,050
        So, 1 C outside 4 C inside, even that is too low for toms, especially ones that have been used to heated conditions.
        I'm thinking the grape was out in the greenhouse all the time?
        4C would not kill off the new shoots on the grape, but I'm thinking it was probably colder than you think.:smile:

I dont think tomato blight would affect a grape vine.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,206
        We are the other side to the hills and the night time temps last week were down to -2c as we were keeping a keen eye of the tender plants in the cold frame.

If its 3 weeks since you put them in the greenhouse would have thought they would have been quiet settled by now.

Don't they say the lower part of the stem goes blue if its getting too cold ?

How old is the Grape vine - thought they were quiet hardy compared to a Tomoto plant.

What has happend to it, a similar type of wilting ? Perhaps more chance of it putting out more shoots now its getting warmer.

Think we would give it a few days to see if any recover ?

Still time to sow seed or get new plants from the garden centers.

FYI there is also the dedicated - TOMATO GROWING THREAD 2020

• Dingledangle

Ratings:
        +2
        well im hoping its just the cold but i dont think it is. what ever is happening to the grape vine is happening the the toms. the toms directly under the Grapevine were affected first but fingers crossed hopefully it was just a cold.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Dingledangle

Ratings:
          +2
          the toms are Wilting from the top down, the lower leaves have brown rust type spots on them. the grape vine is 2 years old and has been in the green house for around 12 months now. we have an older one in an other green house thats fine and no signs of wilt. it seems to be the same thing thats attacking both. the vine strted to die at the tip then worked its way back to the base all the new growth has died back and the grapes have roted/wilted and the toms right under the vine got it first.

im not ruling out Frost as my tree fern got hit with frost and id rapped it with fleece. that was the night the local weather report said 1 Degrees yea my ass. The only thing that makes me doubt it was Frost is two of them have died a few days ago when we've definitely had no Frost.

anyway thanks for the help

• Informative Informative x 1