1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Too late for crown prince?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ariadae, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    I have had no germination from early may,late may, and early June sowings of this squash. I will have one more try as my crop last year was delicious and kept so well. Suppose the nights are still very cold for them. Has anyone else sown them this late?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think they will need a longer-season than you will get from sowing them now. You might be lucky though, particularly if we have a long, warm, Autumn.

3. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    You must be in despair, Ariadae.

I have two squash seedlings still at the seed leaf stage. Might as well plant them out, nothing else I can do with them. I might be lucky.

They are the remnants of a 6 cell tray in a heated propagator. The 4 that rotted got resown, still no joy. I don't know what else I could have done. Normally I find all the squash family really easy to germinate but last year and this year have been a nightmare - zero crop last year, I had lovely seedlings that went into a decline in the wet.