Too many squash and not enough bed!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Tufty, May 18, 2024.

1. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
    +55
    I grew crown prince vertically last year, and was surprised at how the weight spread and the fruit was fine...
    I've also trailed them across the lawn in the past - you can, to some extent, train then in interesting patterns, though they will basically take over!
    I would think more than 2 squashed in one of those beds will need a lot of watering...

• Like Like x 1
    • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,394
      They like to be in full sun and, wherever you grow them, you need to stop/cut off the stems once 4 or 5 good fruits have formed. Otherwise the plants will put energu into growing the stems with new flowers and fruits as it's drive is to make seeds whereas yours is to get good-sized, tasty fruits.

• Like Like x 1
      • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,795

Yes, it is perfectly possible.

Your container is about 75L in volume (1L = 1000 cubic cm, pi x 20x20 x 60 = 75398).

dag_b09.jpg

dag_b11.jpg

I grew a Dill's Atlantic Giant pumpkin in a tub holding about 15L of compost soil mix back in 2017.

Last year, I grew a Crown Prince in a 12L pot. It was less demanding than the DAG so produced two pumpkins weighing 1.3kg and 0.8kg.

When the container is as small as 12L, you have to be on it with the watering.

There will be leeway of about half a day before the plant is stressed enough to abort newly set fruit. So, do not allow the compost to dry out once the plant enters the flowering and fruit setting stage.

• Informative Informative x 2
          Last edited: May 24, 2024
        • Tufty

Tufty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          Thats great @misterQ ! Ive literally just finished planting my squash in some old potato planting bags that I found. Theyre probably 45litres. I will take photos in a week or so.