1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Topiary pruning a Portuguese Laurel..

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Alexism, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Alexism

Alexism Apprentice Gardener

Maintenance Gardener/Garden Design Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, brand new to the site.
    I'm thinking of pruning a Portugeuse Laurel to create the classic mushroom shape on top with bare trunk. Currently its a ball shape to ground level about 2.5m by 2.5m, can I just saw off the lower branches to the height of trunk I want? Is this not such a good idea for the health of the plant or aesthetically because of all the cuts. Any advice much appreciated before/if I get the saw out : )

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would grow the "head" of the mushroom before cutting anything off - more leaves to provide "power" for the new growth that way.

Cutting off all the lower branches may leave the trunk looking rather nobly (compared to a plant that had been trained, from young, as a Standard). They tend not to mind being hacked back, so I don't think it will harm the plant. You could do it over two years, half one year, the rest the next, to reduce the shock.

Not sure I would choose a Laurel (Portuguese or "normal") for Topiary - the big leaves make it more difficult to trim to shape. But if you already have it as a ball perhaps you are already happy with how it behaves.