1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tops of young conifer cut off

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Carllennon, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi,

I bought 9 Leylandii conifers for the side of my garden. I hope to grow them to about 7 foot and then keep them around that height as a hedge. They are about 5 foot now, but several of them were delivered with their tops cut clean off.

Will they still grow correctly or will I have to do some sort of management of the next branch down and kind of point it upwards?

Thanks

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,101
    Not ideal if u wanted them taller but will be fine for 7ft. Just some careful shaping required when pruning.
    Strange that they should come to you with the tops cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      Dont think I'd be very happy if I bought them and the tops had been cut off, I assume you bought them mail order?

They grow pretty strong and will perhaps be a bit bushier for having had that done.
      They will probably form a new leader without much trouble.