1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Total Beginner Help! Buxus Sempervirens

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Dan Fleming, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Dan Fleming

Dan Fleming Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

In the first lockdown I decided to get my garden in order and build a raised bed across the back. In there I have planted a number of Box Plants evenly spaced. After the first year they seemed to be doing really well. Lots of new shoots and had to be trimmed back. However as I move into the second year all of the bushes, some much worse than others, have started to die. I've done some research on Box Blight and Boxwood Psyllid but can't seem to put my finger on what it is.....Has anyone else seen this or can identify what is causing the issue! It would be such a shame to have to destroy all 7 bushes I have! Any advice would be much appreciated. IMG_20220428_102305.jpg IMG_20220428_102337.jpg IMG_20220428_102343.jpg IMG_20220428_102353.jpg IMG_20220428_102353.jpg IMG_20220428_102343.jpg IMG_20220428_102337.jpg IMG_20220428_102305.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,690
    It's the box caterpillar.
    It's not blight IMO.
    My box all looks the same and I have sprayed it once this year all ready as I found some of them a few days ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      @Dan Fleming
      1) whereabouts are you in the UK?
      2) Have you had much rain this spring?
      3) Cold winds and sunshine?
      Box can suffer from scorching of young growth in dry conditions, cold wind and sunshine.
      A number of my shrups and shoots have been suffering this spring.

• Dan Fleming

Ratings:
      +2
      @pete Thanks I didn't think it was Box Blight as there was those white spurs on top of the leaves plus there was a fair bit of web. I will have a look into the Box Caterpillar....

@NigelJ I'm near Manchester, we have had a fair bit of rain but not anymore than usual. In regards to the cold winds that could be an issue but sunshine wouldn't as it's fairly well shaded from long period in the sun.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,690
        The new growth is coming through ok but the Caterpillars will have over wintered on the plants and will soon be emerging as moths and the cycle will start again if you don't break it some how.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Dan Fleming

Ratings:
          +2
          @pete thanks I'll look into get this sorted somehow. They look terrible at the moment!

• Like Like x 1