1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree: Blossoms with Long Pink Petals

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by SvenLittkowski, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Photo0783.jpg Photo0785.jpg Photo0784.jpg Photo0786.jpg Photo0787.jpg Photo0788.jpg

Hi,

I found this tree in Jamaica, but Jamaicans tell me that this would not be any tree they know of. It blooms only during the Christmas season, and also loses at that time all leaves. The leaves grow again after the blooming has ended. The blooms are larger than a fist, but seem to have only a very slight or no fragrance.

Can anyone identify this extremely beautiful tree?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sven,

Happy New Year:)

No idea what the tree is, but i'm sure someone will have a go at it:biggrin:

Any luck with the seeds I sent you?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Could it be Bombax ellipticum?

4. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes! Well done, Pete! You name is nearly correct: it is Pseudobombax ellipticum. When I researched the Internet with the name given by you, I came accross that name. Thanks a lot!

Zigz, happy new year to you as well, and especially! Some of the seeds germinated, some did not. But the problem of non-germination is something I currently encounter with nearly any seed I am planting, it makes me very frustrated and feeling helpless. I even added a lot of spent coffee ground on top of the soil containers to give plenty additional nutritions, and potassium as well. Nothing. In no container, whatever soil combination and enrichments I am combining, nothing germinates anymore. Strange. Has there been a nuclear world war without my knowledge?

PS: didn't I send seeds to you as well? How did they perform?

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Sven,

Sorry, only just seen your reply.

I never got the seeds from you:sad: Must have got lost in the post, thats a shame.

Does the Jamaican border control irradiate incoming post by any chance, X rays might be a possibility. Does seem odd that not many germinate.

It's very frustrating when you can't get them to grow. Have you tried putting the seed in damp tissue paper?

Another thing you could try is mixing them in with wallpaper paste. Good luck:)