1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree fern help is it dead?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by thered, May 4, 2011.

1. thered

thered Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am wondering if my tree fern is dead it was quite a bad winter and now inside is all gooey and smells like cider lollies

i was under the impression after lasting the last 4 winters it would be ok looks like i may have been wrong

question is can i save it?

i would really hate for it to be dead i love it and it is a beutiful feature in the garden

Attached Files:

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
  3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    As is the Date Palm.:dbgrtmb: Sorry.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      What a shame, that looks an expensive plant. Don't bin it just yet in case it does recover.

• Like Like x 1
      • thered

Ratings:
        +0
        yes i knew that one was gone lol

• thered

Ratings:
        +0
        i hope so your right it wasnt cheap and i thought after lasting the last 4 years it would be ok i should have covered it in fleece to try and protect it but i thought if it survived last winter it would have survived this

i am hoping you are right and it does recover although i dont have much hope although it did get the fronds late last year it didnt have all the gunk inside

incidentally it has been very dry lately so i am a little puzzled to where the actual moisture from the top is coming from could it be a sign that the tree ispartly alive as it is drinking water or am i just cluthching at straws

it is a bit mushy inside though

• Banana Man

SuperHero...
        Ratings:
        +213
        It's dead, you would need the gift of deity to resurrect that tree fern :)

I think one of my 7 foot tree ferns is gonna fail this year, which is weird as the other 3 are fine. I have 3 others in varying heights 2-5 foot and only one of these is slow. In my experience no fronds can mean a late and very short frond may appear July time, however stinky mush is a sign it has rotted and I dare say there are a host of bugs munching away at what is left :)

• Like Like x 1
        • thered

Ratings:
          +0
          you are probably correct but i live in hope i should have wrapped it up really

i heard a rumour though that you can chop stump in half and replant it then roots will grow again so you get 2 plants

is that true for alive ones ? i dont suppose it would help mine though if its dead all the way through

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,322
          No want grow if all ready dead !!

Do what I have done I have bought a 1 foot log and planted it in the top , Iam going to keep well watered and see what happens , if you PM I will tell you the supplier as I had a thread about what I had done £20.00 bargain same size I have saw in garden centres £40.00
          Spruce

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,169
          None too sure what you are saying here Spruce.

Have you bought another smaller Tree Fern and stuck that into the crown of the old dead one?

I'd like to know how that goes, any photos?

• Spruce

Ratings:
          +12,322
          Thats what I have done actiualy with 4 when I sent off for them I asked if possible that I would give them the width of the trunk so not bad 3 out of 4 , I was going to do a v cut but the logs on 3 were smaller in circumfrence so made a hollow in the original log and put in swell gell into the gap so it stays moist and secured in with bamboo canes hammered into the original trunk around the sides it looks ok I have a mister on them everyday to keep moist , Yes I will take some photos and have a go of trying to load them on here , if it looks like its not going to work I will pot up in the autum and keep in the greenhouse over winter , but they have already stated sprouting once the leaves get bigger you wont see the bamboo canes which to be honest you can hardly see now.

Hope you understand with what I have said if not my fault

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,169
            Ah thanks for that Spruce. I see what you have done and hope it works. I'm no expert on tree ferns and don't have any, I notice they are sold as logs in some places i.e not in containers/pots - so there is no conventional root ball.

I know the trunk/log is actually a bundle of roots, but don't they put down roots from the bottom of the log? In that case where would your's go?

• thered

Ratings:
            +0
            sounds very interesting i have PM'd you i would love to see some pictures when you get the chance

thanks

• Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,322

Hi
            Hopfully the roots would go into the original log I dont see why they cant , but its keeping them well watered , Like I have said before I have a automatric watering system so I have put on so they have a soacking everyday for 20 mins so hopfully that should help

Spruce

• Banana Man

SuperHero...
            Ratings:
            +213
            yep, it's a common misconception that treeferns don't put down bottom roots. They actually put down significant roots and in some cases suckers :)