Tree Fern

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Lorraine6865, May 16, 2016.

1. Lorraine6865

Lorraine6865 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I have a tree fern that is approx 5ft tall, the fronds have got very small over the last couple of years. From what I've read this may be due to a lack of water though I do put the hose on it whenever I go outside. I have also just learnt that they do have a root system in the pot as well as within the trunk so have just sprinkled some fish, blood & bone into the pot to give it a feed and a diluted tomato feed into the crown.

There are some ferns that have self propogated into the pot around the base of the tree fern, can anyone tell me what kind of ferns they are please and should I remove them when I pot the tree fern on next week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Hi Lorraine...I love ferns and the one you have there looks like a great specimen. I cannot help you with the name, but it looks very much like the type that grows in the hilly woodlands, definitely half to full shade, acid soil. And definitely loves humidity and water.

I guess it is just quite tight in that pot.

When you repot it, I hope you will be able to split it in tiny plants. The roots are very strong.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,635
    I'm thinking it should be planted out, its not happy in a pot, looks pretty big to me.
    Not sure I'd be using chemicals in the crown of the plant.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,411
    Looks like a Shuttle Fern and yes I wouldn't have anything else in the pot competing with the tree fern.

5. Lorraine6865

Lorraine6865 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I can't plant it out as my back garden is fully flagged, also we want to move this year and I want to take it with me as it was a gift. We've always watered it really well which is probably why it hasn't already died.

I've been to B&Q and got the biggest pot that they had, its much wider and deeper than the old one. It took ages to prize all the other ferns away from the tree fern as it was a mass of roots but we managed eventually, they have all been put into their own pots so I should have plenty of plants this year providing they survive tonights ordeal.

The tree fern is in its new home with lots of lovely fresh compost and plenty of water, hopefully it will do much better now, I will keep it well watered and will get some tree fern feed for it, B&Q didn't have any tonight :sad:

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,102
      When i first read your post i thought a few ferns growing in the pot alongside the treefern would be fine thinking they would be small ones likes the ones growing on my treefern. But that sucker is huge and will be taking food from the big guy,yank it oot.

Regards the small fronds. Ive got a 7footer in the ground with small fronds thats fed and watered but as its in full sunlight i think the fronds have got smaller as a result.

The deeper the shade the bigger the fronds i think.

Ive just put a dripper system onto my treeferns so at long last they will get a steady supply of water rather than a sudden flood of water that mostly runs straight off the plant.Cost peanuts.