Tree ID

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by pete, Mar 19, 2006.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    Strongy, I've just looked up parkinsonia in the RHS book and its got both names jerusalem thorn and palo verde, I guess it depends where its growing. :D

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    Pete... Yes I do get some bud drop and they have always been inside upto now. They will go outside next month. The Ravenala .... I don't think so, I just grow them for personal enjoyment, always have. Can't ever see it being warm enough for them outside apart from a few summer months. [​IMG]

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    Nice to know that the profesionals get bud drop as well. :D I feel better now.
    I didn't think you would be putting the ravenala out side, I though you might have a contact that it could be passed on to when it gets too tall for your greenhouses.
    Maybe a shopping centre or botanical garden.
    I've had lots of plants that I have grown for years and eventually had to leave out in the winter to die, just because there is no one to pass them on to. :(
    At the moment I've got a pair of beaucarnea recurvata that are very soon going to have to be left out. :(

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    This is the trouble.... I get carried away (some at work say not far enough) [​IMG] and have too many plants around, Bougainvilleas for one(or thirty). At last one of those,Glabra Elizabeth Angus, can stay out nearly all year in my back garden. They are another topic entirely.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    can't you advertise them for sale, Pete? It's such a pity to let them go like that - your babies!!
    If I ever get my exotics to grow well, that's what I'll do. Since I'm getting on a bit, and my bones are definitely telling me to ease up, I'm going more into propagation, and planting up baskets and containers, and providing plants - there's a real market out there, and for your things, big office buildings would probably be interested. ;)

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    S, your comment is a bit like my last one on member's gallery, welcome to...!
    What you can do in Weymouth and Kent is so different to what I can do up here! There's no way anything of that sort could be out of doors after September at the very latest or before the end of May, and I'd have no room for anything else! :eek:

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    Anyway, has anyone got any other ideas on my tree, I'm not convinced.
    I dont know if you know what I mean but have you ever got a sniff of the roots of acacia, a sort of musty smell, well I remember this having that smell when I repotted it. :D
    I reckon its an acacia of some kind. Maybe.

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    Pete
    I think the word STINK comes to mind regarding Acacia roots. As we have dicounted Albizia and Caesalpinia it doesn't leave much in the way of half hary/hardy shrubs or trees to choose from Perhaps it is an Acacia.
    I picked some seeds off the ground from under some tall trees in Puerto de la Cruz last july and was not sure what they were as there were no flowers. After they got to about 12ins high and were covered in tiny thorns I googled and eventually found that they were Acacia Xanthophloea, the Fever tree, just another novelty to look after ... untill they get too big!
    [​IMG]

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    I think this is my problem, there are thousands of plants that have that acacia look about them from around the world, and although I collected the seed from California I definitly dont think its native.

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    you 2 definitely get around a bit! :D And seed does seem to stick!

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    Dont get around much anymore, but always used to bring some seed back from a holiday. :D

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    Can't help it, I always pick something up. My two liberated Oleander cuttings from last july are 12ins high and the dormant buds are just showing colour already.The one I bought from the

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    [​IMG] Palm Centre last june flowered all summer and produced seed pods which to my surprise ripened, I now have young Oleanders seedlings from my own plant. Can't stop growing exotics! [​IMG]

14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    Is that unusual, I've not seen seed pods on oleander.
    I know what you mean though, first thing I tend to do when I aquire a new plant is try to propagate it, dont really know why, I suppose its some kind of insurance in case I should lose the original. Trouble then seems to be I have lots of them, which being what they are, a lot of people are not interested, so I'm usually stuck with them. :eek:

15. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    I know the feeling and not everbody has the facilites to grow exotics. When I pack up in a few years I won't have anywhere to keep or grow anything unless it is outside. No room for a greenhouse. :(