1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Lily bulbs - in a box for too long? Help please!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by NinaCZ, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    @NinaCZ
    How nice of your garden center to send you another bunch. You can never have enough lilies in the garden. I love them myself and planted a bunch last autumn myself (can't wait to show pictures)
    Actually I always love it if the garden center mixes up the order. Already got a free aronia bush and one blueberry out of it.

@ricky101
    Thanks for the warning Ricky. Wish I knew that last year. Those pollen stains are really hard to get out. But the lily's fragrance makes up for it tenfold

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    Not allowed plants in the house?
    Bury your husband put plants indoors. Or, if the ground is too frozen, bury bulbs deep in pots as suggested and place very close up against the most sheltered wall of the house. Chuck a cardboard box over it when night time temps forecast is very low. Pot up your freebie ones as soon as they arrive

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
      +720
      I'm not sure if this would help you but last year I was in a similar situation.I planted some in a mix of compost and vermiculite.I put quite a good handful of vermiculite around the bulb itself .
      I wrapped a few layers of protection fleece around the whole lot.
      I put these against and partly under a Hawthorne hedge. They produced good plants
      I left them in the pots and they are already showing signs of growth . ,(only just tips of green through the original compost mixture.)

It maybe sounds a lot of messin about but it worked!
      I'm in South Yorkshire.