1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees or shrub ideas for privacy

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by NatB86, Aug 9, 2021.

1. NatB86

NatB86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

We want to add some dwarf trees or shrubs to the boarder to add privacy, the boarder will be extended in length also.

We haven’t a clue where to start to what to get. Height max when grown 8/9ft.

Picture attached for help :)

located North West England, close to the coast

thank you from a newbie gardener

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,384
    Hello NatB86, welcome to GC! Before we can give you recommendations, it would help to know what your soil is like, eg. clay or sand or stony, chalky etc. Then your choice will hinge also on which way the existing fence faces, so how much sun or shade the plants will get. One other factor might be proximity of drains and foundations, as we wouldn't want to suggest shrubs or trees with invasive root systems.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • NatB86

NatB86 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Wow that’s an amazing reply already, thank you!

Soil: compost and top soil mix

Sunlight/shade: direct sunlight first thing in the morning until noon in the summer

Drains/foundations: drain near the rattan, 8 foot deep. Foundations from the neighbouring annexe

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,918
      Bem Vindos.jpeg Welcome from Portugal too.

I have been gone from the UK for twenty years and lived in Bucks/IoW and it would be useful if you could state where you live, ie, England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales ... or just the County would suffice so you can receive the correct advice for the climate.

Personally, I would put climbers on that white wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,384
        So it's east-facing, good soil, probably neutral Ph judging by the colour of the Hydrangea. The thing that first springs to mind is that once your shrubs or trees have reached the top of the fence, they're going to grow over the boundary onto your neighbour's side. Are you on good terms with him/her/them? Either you or they will probably have to prune /trim on their side, if not yours as well. The only plants I know of that don't spread are Italian cypresses and they're pretty boring!
        One alternative might be to sink a sturdy post on the RH side of the white wall and fix some solid trellis between it and your house. Then plant climbers. Fast growers like Clematis montana or variegated Ivy Gloire de Marengo would still need some maintenance, but are much easier to keep in bounds than a 3D shrub or tree being confined to a narrow space. Failing that, something like Eucalyptus gunnii, Photinia and Eleagnus ebbingeii that don't mind regular, hard pruning could be evergreen solutions.

• Like Like x 2
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          Welcome to GC Nat.

@Victoria NatB86 said in his post he is located in north west England. :) That's where I was located before moving here.

Nat do you know what soil you have underneath the topsoil and compost?

North west England is often wet and windy but looking at your image your garden may have protection from the wind. Hebe's will cope with the weather and your coastal position. So will the larger and hardier Fuchsia's.

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,918

Sorry, I missed that. :doh: I always look under the Avatars and that sentence alluded me but the post was updated just after my post. :scratch:

I don't think Hebes or Fuchsias would go higher than that fence. I don't know what could hide the view from the neighbour's windows except a fast growing evergreen tree in the lawn cleverly placed.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1