1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trellis climbers

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by ZoeZoeZoe, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ZoeZoeZoe

ZoeZoeZoe Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, and to gardening! I was hoping for some advice regarding trellis climbers please. I have done some Googling but think you may be more help.
    I will be putting up some 6ft x 6ft (1.83m x 1.83m) square trellis panels. The panels will be running outwards from the house, near a window at the start of the row. The trellis will not be against a wall, it will just be held up by posts, so almost like a normal fence.
    I am looking for evergreen climbers (so it looks covered and full all year) that also flower at some point (ideally white and/or pink). Also, I do not want the plants to protrude far from the trellis at all, as this will affect the light coming in the window.
    So basically, is there a selection of evergreen climbers that flower with white and/or pink flowers, that will stay as close to the trellis as possible and therefore won't protrude too far forward from the trellis?
    I am happy to mix various plants, such as a non-flowering climber as a base, then a flowering climber put into the mix too etc.
    Thank you very much in advance for your help. Sorry for the long message.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hello ZoeZoeZoe....welcome :)
      Is it sunny there? Reasonably warm? If so check out trachelospermum jasminoides. Evergreen, neat, lovely foliage (nice coppery bronze new growth) and scented white flowers in summer. A fabulous plant :)

• Like Like x 1
      • ZoeZoeZoe

Ratings:
        +12
        Hi Verdun, thank you for the welcome :-)
        The trellis would be on kind of the north side of the house, but would get early morning east sunshine, then late afternoon the west sun lights up that whole area. Would trachelospermum jasminoides still be suitable?
        Thank you very much for your help.

• Verdun

Ratings:
        +17,487
        So sunshine from late afternoon for how long? It does need sunshine
        However, for a north aspect the winter jasmine would do well there ZoeZoeZoe.....evergreen with yellow flowers in late winter to early spring. Easy, reliable and delights in the darker months:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ZoeZoeZoe

Ratings:
          +12
          At the moment whilst the sun is low, I'm thinking a good couple of hours, but once Summer fully kicks in it should be more hours.
          I shall take a look at both plants. Maybe put one nearer the sunnier end of the trellis, and the other nearer the darker end.
          Thank you for your help :-D Google was just confusing me with all of the options but not specific to my situation, so you have been a great help :-)

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            Welcome ZoeZoeZoe. :)

Take a look at Taylors Clematis below. They supply good healthy plants for just about every aspect, soil and climate conditions. I've just bought one that is hardy to -15C.

Taylors Clematis

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            Hi verdun. Have you taken up employment with MI5?

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            Sorry about that, all in good humour. So Zoe Zoe a great big welcome to Gardeners Corner. I for one look forward to your questions. Enjoy, share knowledge and have a laugh.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
            +611
            Hi welcome to forum you will pick up some great tips as well astalking to nice people on forum
            winter jasmine as verden suggests would go well and it does not require a lot of sun its really a lovely plant
            at the bottom of my garden i have a trellis and behind the trellis and fence i have massive yet lovely oak tree
            i was looking at some plants so i decieded to plant winter jasine last yearto climb the trellis yet because of the oak tree it mentioned it might not grow but to my surprise its growing very well its 3 times bigger than it was last year
            its lovely to look out of bedroom window and see small yellow flowers on green evergreen stems/branches so you wont go wrong with winter jasmine

Last edited: May 1, 2019
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,389
            Hello ZoeZoeZoe, welcome to GC. As Sheal says, Taylors Clematis are very good and Clematis armandii would seem to fit your requirements perfectly. 'Snowdrift' is white-flowered, 'Apple Blossom' is pink. Both are scented, so combined with Trachelospermum for later flowers, would give a long season of interest. All clematis repay good soil preparation. They're hungry and thirsty plants.

• Like Like x 1
            • Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Ha ha Mike....yep I have :)

• Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,487
              Have to agree with noisette about Taylor’s Clematis. Excellent plants delivered in a day or two :)
              Also about Armandii .....I have just the one here on a 10’ x 8’ wall and it has been awash with flowers. Love it :) Needs trimming now to keep within bounds though.