1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Trying to ID assorted wild flowers

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by TheMadHedger, Jun 29, 2018.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    The only ones that I know are the poppies, but even then I have no idea what the name is for the assorted colours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm particularly interested in the last one - it can be seen in various colours.

Thank you

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    @TheMadHedger I think your last pic of the pink and white flowers is Toadflax.. Flowers come in a multitude of colors ranging from yellow, red and pink to white or purple...

The orange poppies look suspiciously like Californian poppies and the yellow poppies look like Welsh poppies to me..

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,623
    Just as a matter of interest, are these flowers from one of those wild flower mixes that you just sprinkle and let grow?

4. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    Hi @TheMadHedger As @Marley Farley said, the last one is Toadflax - Linaria maroccana - but that is a garden annual, not really a wild flower (certainly not a british one). And there are yellow Eschscholzia (californian) and Dimorphotheca (Australian/African). So it's a world-wide wild flower mix!

5. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    3 is Convulvulus " Blue Ensign "
    5 The pink poppies are Papaver Rhoeas " Shirley ". The white flowers in the top right corner are annual Gypsophila.

6. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Splendid, very many thanks to everybody for your answers so far. :biggrin:

@Fat Controller - in fact these photos were taken at the 'National Botanic Garden of Wales' which I visited today. A horticultural student is apparently doing a test to see which flowers are best for pollinators like bees, so what has been done is to make 20 squares (maybe 10 feet per side, I don't recall) with different mixes of seeds, as well as some squares containing only one flower type. It's a lovely display of beautiful flowers.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,414
      I've been there. I can't remember off the top of my head where it is. I remember the visitor centre/cafe bit being in a big dome in the centre. It was raining the day we went. The land trains had the roofs up but the sides were uncovered so we still all got wet. :noidea:

G.

• TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      'Wet' is pretty normal for Wales. :) Yes, you're right about the big dome in the centre (the Great Glasshouse): Great Glasshouse | National Botanic Garden of Wales

There's a LOT to the gardens in general, always something new to discover as it covers a huge amount of land. Well worth a visit (preferably on a sunny summer day).

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1