1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tunnel Cloches - anyone know where to get them?

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by geoffhandley, Jan 7, 2007.

1. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone seen any of the tunnel cloches? When I had my allotment 13 years ago you could get cloches that stretched over hoops. You wrapped the polythene at the end round a stake and hammered it into the ground. Each hoop had an eye on each side and you stretched string over the polythene at each hoop to hold it down. They were cheap, stable and very effective. I used to use them for all sorts of crops - early strawberries, melons, winter lettuce. I do remember getting replacement polythene and I used them a long time.Unfortunately the hoops must have been thrown out in a garage clear out. Have done a search on the Internet and cannot seem to find anything like them, just rather expensive concertina like cloches. I do remember Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners World (in the glory days when it was practical and full of good ideas) showing us how to make the hoops ourselves by bending the wire round nails set on board.
    I know commercial growers used to use them as well.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No that one seems to have the hoops embedded in the sheeting. The ones I used were much simpler...and cheaper.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    try the co-op then! I did get something like that from a non-gardening catalogue - if I come across it again, I'll let you know. And I'll keep looking....

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
  6. Mark B

Mark B Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you just you that corregated plastic sheeting you can buy from B&Q and such like and then just bend it over the top of the bed? That's what i was going to try.

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Corrugated sheeting tends to become airborne quite easily and I should imagine more expensive. I would want stuff that could easily be set up for say a 30 foot row. The good thing about those tunnel cloches was that they were cheap, easy and they worked.

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,517
    I know which cloches you are referring to because I used to use them as well. When I get a chance I shall search through my shed to see if I can find the name. I know I still have some of the plastic left somewhere in there. I only recently threw out a load of the metal hoops because I couldn't find anyone locally who wanted them.

------------------
    shiney

9. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My friend and I kept our eyes open over the summer at the car boots and got some tents (none of them cost more than a pound or two). We use the bendy hoops out of them and just bought some polythene to go over them. Could do with some more, so will be on the lookout again this year!

10. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We also used them for netting!!

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If you can get hold of some fence wire you can make really strong hoops. I use it but slip bits of old garden hose on to reduce chaffing. I've used this method in the past for corrugated plastic cloches and with about 18 inches or more buried they didn't take off. I now use similar hoops, but extended by using thin tubing (cheap from B&Q) to support anti-insect netting over brassicas.
    If you can make your own hoops, there are plenty of sources of horticultural grade polythene to be found on the web.

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,517
    Hi geoff

I found my cloches but they didn't have any company name but I did a search and came up with this site.

http://www.plasticsbypost.net/polytunnel.htm

It seems to be what you were after and is definitely what I have been using.

Good luck.
    ----------
    shiney