1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning lawn into a wild garden, while stopping it from going feral

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by TOR, Jan 14, 2012.

1. TOR

TOR Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    My new garden in Devon is quite large and what goes under the name of lawn is in large parts more like a field - more buttercups than grass and certainly more moss than grass at this time of year! Admittedly we only moved in in late September and with the mild autumn and one thing and another it wasn't cut enough last year.

I don't mind - will aim to keep the front lawn reasonable and aim to reduce the amount of lawn cut regularly, at least over time. Can you recommend flowering plants that would thrive in what is quite a strong-growing greensward? In addition to buttercups, daisies and dandelions which seem to thrive...

Soil is loam over clay mostly, but must admit now so wet that it all seems to be clay!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tor,

Depends when you are going to cut it really, are you going to let it set seed and make hay in the summer?

Or were you just thinking of a high cut most of the year round?

3. TOR

TOR Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Good question!

I don't know - one of the many things I haven't thought enough about so far.

Probably at least partly to hay as I certainly want naturalised daffs, camassia, etc.

But a high-cut lawn with flowers in addition to daisies would be nice. Plenty of spacer - and even more once I've doen battle with the edges of the lawn - brambles, nettles, etc

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Might be worth considering a mown path thru it then, leaving bits to grow to maturity.

In the hay meadow, i'd consider Hay Rattle, Corn Cockle, Marjoram, Oregano, Snakeshead Fritilary, Salad Burnet, Horehound, Yellow Archangel for starters.

In a high cut lawn, Thymes, Chamomile, Kidney Vetch, Rest Harrow, Bugle,
    Eyebright and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      So what do you actually do with the hay after its cut........? :scratch:
      Just curious....

• Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
      Ratings:
      +2,409
      Feed it the Osses I Think :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • TOR

TOR Gardener

Ratings:
        +8
        and if they don't want it - or if I don't have any (don't tell my daughter) - I'll compost it - can't rot any slower than my ample supply of oak leaves!

Or an autumnal bonfire?

• Like Like x 1
        • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
          +1,663
          The Oak leaves, similarly to Beech, take forever to break down.
          If you have access to a Garden Vac then sucking them through that will chomp them down to small bits.
          They can then be used as mulch, or will be less of a problem in compost - although they still take a long time to break down completely.

• Like Like x 1