1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Possibly one of the reasons, Wee Tam, is that the younger generation have grown up with the EU whereas some of us :old: ones can remember the difference between the EU in it's embryo trading form and aspirations from the the mutated political form it has become, so it's natural that they would perceive it as some of them do.:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2016
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Probably two, Jack, as George Osborne will be facing a revolt from the Conservative MP's due to his threat to impose a "punishment" Budget should the UK leave the EU. He's lost all chance of becoming the Conservative Party Leader and being, if only temporary, Prime Minister.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,935
        No the young wanted to vote on their mobile phones.
        If you actually have to go somewhere to do it, its far too much hassle.

Now if you could have vote via facebook, I'm sure the outcome would have been very different.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 3
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Sooooo, cynica!!!.........most unlike you, Pete:dunno::snorky:

• Funny Funny x 5
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,935
            Sorry just generalising, but if it cant be done on a phone, it aint worth doing.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +21,771
                Have to confess I was hugely surprised this morning.

Irrespective of anything else, we now have to get heads down and crack on.

• Agree Agree x 8
                • Like Like x 1
                • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                  Ratings:
                  +12,508
                  Well, as you might suspect, I'm very disappointed with the result. From my perspective, I can only see bad things ahead when we go cap in hand to negotiate a trade deal. Many times I heard the line (something like) "being in charge of our own destiny" or "we want our country back". Great slogans, but what do they really mean? To some they mean that we can control immigration, yet no-one has said that immigration will go down after this, apart from that nitwit Farage. To others these slogans mean that we won't have to take any notice of the euro-bureaucrats. True, that just leaves OUR bureaucrats who must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of unfettered power.
                  I was listening to a legal expert regarding existing EU laws that have become entwined into British law. He said it might take decades to unravel EU law from British law, unless the government took on executive powers. Think about that for a moment.
                  It's all very well giving the EU a bloody nose, and trust me, I am/was no fan of the EU, but it seems to me like cutting our nose etc, just to end up in a worse situation further down the line.
                  I of course, have to accept the fact that we're on our way out. I just can't help but think that 'we' have made a dreadful mistake. I hope I'm wrong...

• Agree Agree x 7
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +5,090
                    Will Euroland now fall like a pack of cards ?
                    By the way has anyone seen this guy today? He seems to have vanished ? :biggrin:[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      Let's hope not. That would be good for nobody. If the eu collapses, it will almost certainly result in violence. Riots and civil unrest as a minimum. Quite possibly escalating to actual war. Not necessarily world war 3 as some forecast, but perhaps civil wars.

• Agree Agree x 4
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,469
                        I can't really understand the logic behind the call for only people under 50 voting on the referendum. :scratch: If that's the case then it stands to reason (why bring reason into the discussion? :dunno: :whistle:) that it should apply for all voting.

Then we carry the argument forward and once we only have under 50's voting there will be a call for only under 40's to vote. Although slightly different it brings memories of Soylent Green :yikes:

• Agree Agree x 2
                          Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
                        • clueless1

Ratings:
                          +19,596
                          On channel 4 plus, there is a program on now called power monkeys.

It doesn't look live, but they are talking about lot about what's actually happened, right down to actual figures and reactions.

A conspiracy theorist might think it's impossible to wangle all today's news into a comedy plot, design sets, rehearse, go to production, etc all in a few hours.

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          I've been quiet all day, but, I'm gonna say one thing and that's it........

THE LUNATICS HAVE TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM....

I think the result is a disgrace and I feel ashamed to be British. This is going to brand our country and it's inhabitants racists, for, lets face it, the subject of immigration was pushed way too far, beyond a comfortable level.

What will happen next, who knows ? But, I' m just waiting for the first person who voted out to moan that they can't afford as much spending money for their foreign holiday, or the petrol is costing too much for their car or that they've lost their job. It will be a big fat laugh in their face from me.

That's all folks :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                            Ratings:
                            +49,578
                            The thing that is really bugging me today is the way that the politicians, both here and in Europe have reacted to the result. Those in Europe may as well have stamped their feet and thrown their toys about - nothing but a tantrum. Here in the UK, it is little better with a whole load of hand-wringing and blame/criticism being thrown around.

Yet again, the politicians have missed (or chose to ignore) what the voting public are trying to get them to understand - this runs so much deeper than the EU dictating how straight our bananas are.

Politics in the UK is utterly dysfunctional, as has been proven by the past two general elections - - all of them are so deeply unpopular and out of touch that no party has been able to secure a full majority. And the same applies to those that we cannot elect in Brussels, except it is worse as they are so distant.

If we had a government that had taken decisive action on housing, immigration, the NHS and were showing that they were dealing with our crumbling infrastructure (roads, railways and sewers in this country are completely Donald Ducked), then do you think we would have seen the vote we did last night?

They all need to have a word with themselves, and someone with some balls needs to make massive changes, and fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
                            • clueless1

Ratings:
                              +19,596
                              What's infuriated me about the response of the youth is the apparent assumption that we each voted for selfish reasons.

Here's my honest stance. If I didn't have 2 kids that I love very much, given that I have recurring bouts of depression and seem to be often in physical pain too, I'd simply remove myself from the equation. EVERYTHING I do is with my kids in mind. I wouldn't mind betting that many people have similar thoughts. So when the youth think we looked out for ourselves, they've completely failed to realise that many of us, whichever way we voted, will have done so with the best interests of the kids in mind.

• Agree Agree x 3
                              • Like Like x 2