1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 9, 2015.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,127
    I'm no expert but I think that £250 billion is there for loans to other banks, so it will be repaid over time with interest - so it's not really a 'bill' and it's not even been drawn yet, it was just announced to calm the markets. Quite a frightening figure none the less.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,460
      The EU have turned down Sturgeon's approach. :whistle: They have said it's an internal matter.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Just lock me in a room for ten minutes with fishface Krankie and I'll sort her out for you [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
          Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
          Ratings:
          +7,624
          I like this word.

Spain and France say no - any one Country can veto Scotland's entry - so Nic's just wasting her time mahoosively :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,624
            I've found that extra care has to be taken when corresponding via text - as it's sometimes difficult to get your point over in the way intended - which is why there should be emoticons peppered throughout any message :biggrin: (thought I'd better put one in!).

In the end, major subjects like this will lead rigorous debate - but always in the knowledge that nothing is ever personal - if someone disagrees with me @clueless1 for example :heehee: - that's fine - no offence taken and I hope none given.

There, I've said my bit :thumbsup:.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              Huh?what?

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Oh dear, oh dear! :frown:

Anthony, I have no desire to bandy words with you but I am going to take the opportunity to respond to your assumption and, quite blatant, accusation.

First and foremost, you are assuming that I ignore you and that is clearly flawed :nonofinger: (evidence of this is surely that I have responded to one of your posts). Failure to refer to any of your other posts is simply a case of … I have nothing to say about, or to, your remarks, it does not equate to ignoring you. :scratch: If that were true, there must be a good number of members who could claim I ignore them :heehee: However, thank you for highlighting that you have been actively ignoring me for the last month or so; I actually hadn’t noticed :oops:

Now, your accusation: I am completely bemused how asking for a point of reference can be interpreted as me putting you down! :scratch:
                Anyone who genuinely knows me will know that I am not in the habit of putting people down; on the contrary, I like to encourage people, support others, share knowledge, compliment others on their achievements, partake of a bit of banter and I’ve even been known to lend a sympathetic ear when required and have never knowingly disclosed a confidence. To state that every time I post anything to you it is putting you down suggests not only an inclination but also the time it would take to do so. I have a very full life centred on my family, my animals, my hobbies, my friends, the various groups I am involved in and my community. Let me reassure you, and state clearly it is with no offense intended, you really do not feature high enough on my list of priorities to warrant the time it would take to go to the effort of finding your posts, reading your posts and then conjuring up a put down aimed at you with every post. Actually, I don't actively "follow" any single member on this forum (or any other forum for that matter). In all honesty, I've always thought the "Follow" feature rather stalker-ish :heehee:

To put your mind at rest: there is one reason and one reason only that I asked for a source to the information you posted. Put simply, racism: facts are important! Certain members of my own family have been subjected to racism from a young age (I’ve even posted about a particular episode on these forums!) and it is something I find instinctively abhorrent. It is something which does feature on my list of priorities in terms of interest and time. Admittedly, not at the top, but it is and always will be there :thumbsup:

Lastly, I am as disappointed as the next man with the way people have turned on one another over the Brexit issues. I am appalled at the behaviour of some British citizens both prior, and subsequent, to the announcement of the results. I am also stunned, and a little saddened, to think that an element of that climate is spilling over into GC inasmuch as anyone would put me in the same category of small mindedness as those who go out of their way to bully others with put downs. That is simply not who I am :nonofinger:

Thank you for mentioning BBC Midlands programme. That particular episode is not available on iPlayer as it appears they only keep the episodes for the previous 24 hours.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  :coffee::snork:
                  Hi Merleworld, the Parliament would have to agree to repeal the European Communities Act 1972 so that Article 50 would not have to be initiated/invoked but could do so by a more direct and instant route

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
                  • clueless1

Ratings:
                    +19,596
                    Merkel, boss of the 28 state Federation, has said that the UK will have no access to the single market unless we accept freedom of movement.

Merkel, who as we've seen before unilaterally decides what happens in the eu, says that's non negotiable.

Can't we just shrug our shoulders and close down every vw, audi, BMW, and Mercedes dealership in the UK and then ask them again, or is that an oversimplification?

• Like Like x 3
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,900
                      Personally I'd like to see less BMWs , VWs, and Audis on the roads.

We might get less tailgating and non signalling, its a well known fact they only have indicators fitted as an option.

Oh and they also have something that fiddles the emissions tests, so I believe.:snork:

• Agree Agree x 5
                      • Funny Funny x 3
                      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Germany are bricking it, as they know they'll be having to bail out Italy without our help. They saw this coming years ago, why else would they have ordered bank note quality paper in huge amounts unless it was to start printing Deutche marks again when the euro drops thru the floor?

Mod note : this thread is pretty volatile, so can we keep personal comments out of it, if anyone has got any problems with other members please use the report button so we can deal with it away from the main boards.

Thank you for your co operation :spinning:

• Agree Agree x 4
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • clueless1

Ratings:
                          +19,596
                          Maybe this is a chance to kill two birds with one stone. I'm sure we could strike up an excellent deal with Japan to sell us Nissan car, built in the already fully equipped UK factories, as well as Toyota and lexus models. I myself drive a mitsubishi. We still need cars. Perhaps we could boost the Japanese companies in return for Japanese investment and Japanese companies creating UK jobs.

• Creative Creative x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                            +0
                            Did I say I can speak Japanese?

• Like Like x 3
                            • Useful Useful x 1
                            • clueless1

Ratings:
                              +19,596
                              Can you really?

I know some Japanese too. I also know some Korean. I even know one word of Russian.

• Like Like x 1
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                                +0

• Funny Funny x 5