1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, I've tried to keep open minded over the issue because it goes beyond Labour, Conservative, and other parties policies where their official party stance restricts them from being just that. So I've watched Mr Cameron over the months "working hard" to get the deal for Britain, seen and heard the initial reactions from the Leaders of the EU countries with their shaking of heads, negative remarks etc, while Mr Cameron kept "working hard".
    It took him long enough to directly say what he thought we, Great Britain, wanted which was Border Control, sovereignty, able to make our own laws, fair deal for the £ sterling against the Euro, immigration, revision and restriction of benefits to EU members entering the UK with a job, or without, and one or two other things. All through the negotiations we heard the words "principles, compromise, unacceptable", and so on with Mr Cameron saying he was making ground etc.
    Unfortunately, from what I can see, Mr Cameron's present "agreement" with the EU Leaders is not even close to what he was standing up and saying he was demanding. We don't get border control change from the present arrangements, we don't get any degree of sovereignty, we don't get the ability to make our own laws, we don't get the power about controlling benefits to EU member immigants [what is proposed is that we have to ask for permission from all the other EU countries......not likely to happen], no assurance about the £ Sterling's fair treatment against the Euro. I just don't see what he has come back with that will change anything that we want changed with the EU. He's going to have a hard time selling his efforts to the British Public.:dunno:

• Agree Agree x 4
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I'm genuinely disappointed. I'd come round to the idea of staying in, after years of wanting out. Now I feel I have no option but to vote out. Britain is too small and too unique to be swallowed up into an ever growing faceless federation. A union would be nice, total loss of a nation would not be so nice.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Well, despite our country's geographical size and fairly small population, we're still the world#'s 5th largest economy........so for me any union with the EU is not, and never has been, possible because in reality two countries run the EU and both have no real liking for the UK because they would have to recognise that..:coffee:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,946
          We have to stay in the EU as there will be alot of MEP's out of work :snorky::dbgrtmb:

I voting out :snork::snorky::snork::snorky::):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            Oh dear, poor Nigel!

At least I'll be able to grow bent bananas, produce jam in second hand jars for fund raising, spray aphids with washing up liquid without worrying about getting fined and look forward to catching a few more sea fish to eat. Have I missed anything?

Although I still believe there's a distinct possibility of what I posted on another thread happening ...
            - caused by Conservative supporters voting UKIP in 2020, and I can't quite get my head around what'll happen in 2020 following a leave vote, so best guess is the most divided vote ever with another coalition (but whom?).

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,093
              Ive decided to change my mind and vot to stay in Europe.

I dont mind that we give them £12 Billion pounds every year and spend Billions of pounds a year on our Nato membership that helps to protect the Europeans from those nasty Russians who are always seeking to invade and kill us all in our beds.

I dont mind the fact that we as a nation no longer have any control over our criminal ,business ,and civil laws.

I dont mind that the new trade treaty laws are being done in our names in secret and behind closed doors by the Europeans thats going to determine the paths of our peoples and countries in the future.

I dont mind the fact that these Europpean countries have a history of ganging up on Britain .

I dont mind that we pay the Poles and others to keep their kids fed and clothed in their own countries while kids in our country are going hungry or are homeless or living in substandard damp accomodation.

Yeh ,like hell. Lets get out now and save our country and peoples of the UK. Those free loading Europeans can look out for themselves and if they decide they want a trade war then bring it on.They need us more than we need them.:fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 2
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,497
                Vote Scrungee :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,883
                  Good evening I seem to remember a vote on June 5th 1975( country's continued membership) when everyone was against being part of the it,never met anyone who wanted to continue,what happened, 68% voted for it:whistle:

Capture.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                    +19,596
                    Just in the interest of fair balance, while the eu does indeed make a lot of our legislation, a lot of it is actually UK law rebranded.

An example that springs immediately to mind is the data protection act. It's in the law of England and Wales since 1974. I'm sure other UK jurisdictions have it too. It's now a EU directive, but it still has the same rights and responsibilities, just now enforceable over the whole eu instead of just the jurisdiction that the data and subject are in.

That's not a defence of the EU. I just think we should be sure about what we're contesting or supporting, and who gets the blame or credit for what.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Scrungee

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                      Ratings:
                      +89,883
                      With the proposed EU Data Protection Regulation set to be introduced in 2016, the stakes will get even higher for businesses.
                      Specifically, the adoption of a new EU Data Protection Regulation (EUDPR) will set out to strengthen data protection legislation. It is likely to impose onerous new responsibilities on organisations, putting them at greater risk of falling foul of the law and subject to heavier penalties if they do.

The regulation, as currently proposed, will result in a single regulatory system across the EU, creating one of the world’s most comprehensive and heavily enforced data breach notification regimes.

“The EU regulation has not yet been finalised because member states have widely differing views. EU regulation is imposed centrally and should apply uniformly, with no differences between states, but the feeling is that various countries are trying to opt out of different proposals.”

The UK, for example, is resisting the idea of a dedicated data protection officer for all companies with more than 250 employees.:whistle::phew:

• shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,497
                      As an ex-small businessman the Data Protection Act was already becoming too onerous (and in some parts totally irrelevant) a task when I retired 15 years ago. I can't imagine how difficult it has become since then. :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Scrungee

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        Breaking news, results from the latest online Daily Express poll are now available:

GC eu poll.jpg

And apparently there's some absolutely terrible weather on the way ...

• Funny Funny x 3
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,497
                          :snorky:

That's the fault of the EU as well. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Funny Funny x 2
                          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                            +8,083
                            Correct me if I'm wrong @WeeTam but are you not a fervent supporter of The SNP and Scottish Indendence? The SNP are so pro The EU that they are yelling should the UK as a whole decide to opt out of The EU then that would be a good enough reason to demand a 2nd (yawn) Independence Referendum as us in Scotland are SO pro Europe...not too sure where they get that idea from? Perhaps many SNP supporters while wishing to stay in The EU will tacitly vote to leave in the hope their votes will be enough to produce a UK exit from the EU and consequently the possibility of ANOTHER referendum and ANOTHER and ANOTHER until The SNP get the result they want. Sabre-rattling about Independence is so much easier/more exciting than trying to solve our real problems in Education, NHS and attracting new businesses to our Country, to name but a few. I am presuming of course that you live in Scotland?. There are far too many expat Scots who wax lyrical about Scotland but don't actually live here, Sean Connery for 1! They aren't putting up with the crackpot ideas and the threat of massive tax hikes on those of us who bothered to work hard and save a few bawbees. I voted against joining The EU in 73 but will be voting to stay in this time around, for no better reason than to be against another country splitting referendum.